• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Putting motor and trans in.

Yeah, I know, the factory did it from the bottom. On a multi-million dollar assembly line.

Yeah, I know, the factory did it from the bottom. On a multi-million dollar assembly line.
At least the cars were made to where the engine/trans could be removed from the top. A lot of this new crap (if not all) the only way is from the bottom.

I would say, installing from bottom allows you to basically assemble whole power train with all accessories without having to hang over fenders. found it easier on my back. But need space to do it. After doing once, think I would only do from bottom now. But also have a hoist now.

The motor is in! It's been a long wait on the TTI's and other parts I was finally ready to get this in. I figured it would be a good idea to swap in the quick steer arms before I started. However, my cheap pitman arm puller had other plans but with a little tool modification it was nothing but a slight set back.

442.jpg

So then the flywheel bolts on the motor were too short, I didn't notice since it was on the stand with the bolts just hand screwed into the block for safe keeping. A quick trip into town problem solved, then the clutch and of all the things, I forgot the pilot bearing. The clutch didn't come with one. A quick trip into town problem solved, Napa had one on the shelf. At this point we are ready to go.
image000003.jpg

Now on to the next dilemma, would you believe I've been planning this since December and never once truly looked at the bell housing attached to my a833.
44.jpg

I did a quick search locally and a post to see if anyone had one, did find one from the guy I got the car from, and it was on the way for a mere 300$ I didn't care just wanted to get this in the car.

Also a quick thanks to everyone who responded to my bell housing dilemma. Thanks 1wildR/T, I look forward to obtaining the yolk I'm going to need, and yes I'm currently in Escalon.

erfc.jpg

wedsd.jpg

So at this point it was Monday night and I realize I still didn't get a starter. Called O'Reilly's asked for a starter for a 94 dodge Dakota. and it would be in the next morning. This was fine it gave me time to replace the fuel tank in my TJ but that's a whole different story.

Around 12:00 on day two.
wdcv.jpg

The only real struggle was the passenger side header hitting the steering, I dropped the linkage and it went fairly smooth. Many thanks to all the recommendations, I did put the *** of the car up and lower the front, the TTI headers fit amazing. No complaints from me the whole two days, all the hiccups along the way are what happens with a project car that's traded hands several times before I got it.

image000002.jpg

image000000.jpg

image000001.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back