• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Putting on New Seat Covers, How Tough?

67Satty

Local time
10:17 PM
Reaction score
How many here have recovered their seats themselves? How tough a job is it? I already have the new covers for my front and back seats and new foam for the front buckets. If I have to pay the local shop it will probably cost me about $400. I'm in no big hurry, have just never tried this before.

Then again, there are a lot of things I've done on this car that I've never done before and it's been turning out OK so far.

Do it yourself and save the 400.00. It is not at all difficult. Just get yourself a Hog Ring kit..eBay has them...and go to work. Take your time and of course an extra set of hands helps too. Just follow the removal real close and then reverse the process. I have done it numerous times....

Good advice above. The one thing I would emphasize is letting them lay out for a few days. I put them out in the sun over the weekend while I was doing yard work and other projects outside. I put the new skins on after they had been in the sun for a few hours and it helped quite a bit. The hog ring kit makes it so much easier than fighting with conventional tools.

Do it yourself and save the 400.00. It is not at all difficult. Just get yourself a Hog Ring kit..eBay has them...and go to work. Take your time and of course an extra set of hands helps too. Just follow the removal real close and then reverse the process. I have done it numerous times....

What he said!!

Not as difficult as it seems. I'm a newbie at this and did my 69 GTX with the help of a friend and a good hog ring kit. If possible, use the original foam if it's still in good shape. The lines on it from the original covers will guide you as to where to place the new seat covers. New foam is harder to cover.

When I was doin' the 68 Charger buckets, heating in the sun was a BIG help............and PATIENCE, working the cover around the edges with your hands and gently stretching it out to get it to lay flat and fit properly......

It takes time and patience, and WARM covers. :grin::grin:

Thanks for the advice guys. I spend some time taking apart my driver's side bucket last night. I got the top part stripped down to the bare frame. There's not much left of the foam but I have new foam.

In addition to laying them in the sun I also used a hair dryer in tight spots. One other I did was to lay out my old and new foam together and mark the lines on the new foam with a sharpie that way I knew my stuff was lined up.

Thanks for the advice guys. I spend some time taking apart my driver's side bucket last night. I got the top part stripped down to the bare frame. There's not much left of the foam but I have new foam.

Did the same thing........I repainted the frames and rustproofed the springs.......looked brand new before the foam went back on.......If I'm there, and have the parts in my hand, I restore them.

In the end, it's well worth the effort....especially if you sell the car later on...prospective buyers are blown away by attention to detail. :yes:

I did the ones in my duster and in my 68 barracuda, In the cuda I had to rebuild parts of the framework and was able to use pieces from an old bench seat and was able to salvage the cloth with the wire in it from an old rear seat that was heading to the scrap pile.old timer said put baby powder on the foam to help the covers slide on better.....pure gee nee usss them old timer's :grin:

Auto Transport Service
Back