• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Putting window frames back in....HELP!

Mocajava

Local time
5:03 PM
Reaction score
To all
I completely stripped my car and am in the rebuild state now, the original teardown was in 2015. The one thing I have been dreading has been the reinstallation of the window frames...and it is kicking my butt! I know what windows I will put in and from whom but no cash to do it right now so I am putting the frames back in without glass. I am pretty sure the glass can be installed later. I could really use some "instruction" from someone who has done this before as I am beyond frustrated and cut up from the sharp edges on all the sheet metal. I had to walk away before I got mad and started physical venting! I started on the rear side windows and snugged them down, then I put the slide bars in the car door before I attempted to put in the actual window rolling framework . I guess part of my issue is not finding good pictures of what it looks like, I will dig into that. Is there a standard procedure for installing all this from a bare frame aspect? I know with the experience the FBBO group has that many of you have done this and I would love to talk to someone about the right vs the wrong way to go about this. Please PM me and I would appreciate being able to call and discuss how to correctly approach this task. Thank you all again..for listening to this long rant and the help. Mocajava

Thank you 69 GTX! I was at the point where I was going to cut the entire panel out with a cutter, install the hardware and window framework and TIG it back in place. I could do that easily but my better half talked sense into me.....

If you have any questions let me know. I just installed the door glass and now fighting the rear 1/4 window glass. I can give you some tips.
FYI save your stock glass for comparison if your considering ordering aftermarket glass.

I have pictures and detailed notes of the rear 1/4 window frames of my '70 GTX at home. Let me know if you'd like to see them. Hope you're not pulling your hair out!

I feel for ya, they can be a bitch. Those are great references above. You should be fine. tip; tape up the Sheetmetal edges. wear long sleeves. It's worth the time spent.

Got some detailed tips from 69 GTX which will help tremendously! I feel better about attacking this again but I can see i'm not the only one who has had "fun" with this!

I just recently assembled the drivers door guts & glass on the Express because I created custom door panel interior sections that involve Audi A6 door release handles up at the top front of the door, about where the forward fastener would be on Coronet 500 door emblem. So the latch rod was very different and I needed everything in place to judge clearance issues and routing issues for the rods, tilt out cubby and CD controls in the bottom 1/3rd of the door cavity and the wiring harness from the Audi doors. Admittedly I had the door off and on a table until everything was in and then hung the door to be sure getting vertical didn't change anything. It's fun working through square holes with sharp edges!

0204201413.jpg
0204201414.jpg
0204201415.jpg

Dash in 3.jpg
That will be awesome ghost Ghostrider! My dash is modified also but no where near THAT extent.... ,you have taken your build to a waaaay different level. Mocajava
Dash in 3.jpg

try to install at least the vent window in its frame. it is locked with a pin and screw. you will only be able to reach those areas when you pull it out again (at least to reach this).

door glass can be installed later. just unscrew the top screw in the vent wing channel and carefully pry it out so you can slide in the door glass from top.

quarter glass can also be installed later.

make sure you align to the a-pillar first. look for an even gap from bottom to top, this will pretty much get your door glass in a good position as starting point. pay attention to seal against the roofrail weatherstripping. this is most pita on front glass alignment. then quarter glass..have fun, it is doable, be patient and watch your paint! you will want to use tape.

Thanks El.Padrino, I have her taped up and trying to get all in there
this morning. Working on rear quarter windows first as I am waiting on the new gaskets for the wing.

Thanks El.Padrino, I have her taped up and trying to get all in there
this morning. Working on rear quarter windows first as I am waiting on the new gaskets for the wing.
Sounds like you have it well in hand then. I looked around this morning and found the door glass rear metal divider strips for both doors. So now all I need is the felt/Mylar channel for each front edge and the setting tape for the rear ends. Have everything then.

After several attempts at getting the driver quarter window in, I finally stripped EVERYTHING out and started with the roller mechanism....just bolting it in. Then I started putting the different runners and tracks in one at a time and finally got it in....and it works well! The electrical GURU came over and we spent the rest of the afternoon getting her ready to fire up. Some disappointing moments with fuel line leakage, I used that stainless braided stuff..never again. We got all the leaks sealed up by changing out a couple of fittings that went bad. Got her fired up and EFI started doing its fine tuning! I am pumped.....

After several attempts at getting the driver quarter window in, I finally stripped EVERYTHING out and started with the roller mechanism....just bolting it in. Then I started putting the different runners and tracks in one at a time and finally got it in....and it works well! The electrical GURU came over and we spent the rest of the afternoon getting her ready to fire up. Some disappointing moments with fuel line leakage, I used that stainless braided stuff..never again. We got all the leaks sealed up by changing out a couple of fittings that went bad. Got her fired up and EFI started doing its fine tuning! I am pumped.....
Congrats! Have fun..

Well I got all the frames in with minimal blood shed...now to order the windows so I can finish this heart-warming task! Going to get the grey smoke color...expensive from ECS but supposed to be top notch!

Auto Transport Service
Back