• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

QA1 upper control arms lube ? Squeaks!

417guy

Local time
6:41 AM
Reaction score
Had the front end rebuilt about 1000 miles ago on my 68 road runner. New QA1 tubular upper control arms, bigger tie rods with QA1 solid steel adjusters, Moog LCA bushings, plates welded to the bottom of the LCA’s, and poly strut rod bushings on the OE strut rods. Aligned by an old Mopar master. Drives great !
Now I have a squeak on the driver side. The bushings in the UCA’s were lubed with the red grease I use on everything. (They have grease fittings). I can’t tell where the squeak is exactly. Any one have any experience with this ? Could it be the poly (energy suspension) strut rod bushings ? A little embarrassing when pulling in the the cruise in lot and it sounds like my old Ford, first car at 16.
Just looking for anyone’s input and advice . TIA

I had a dakota that had energy suspension bushing and those things squeaked real bad. They were the red ones.. I ended up removing them and putting on stock style and never looked back.

Common squeak points on poly bushings is the sway bar bushings, especially if aftermarket bar. And, the lower control arm bushings. That has been my experience with poly bushings anyways.

Easy way to rule out the sway bar would be just disconnect at the end links and drive it and see if it still squeaks.

Poly requires grease that’s made for poly bushings. It does lose the grease after a time and thus the squeaking starts.

I 'd try greasing the upper control arms again and see if anything changes, if it doesn't last try some grease with moly in it.

Poly just squeaks. It’s a pain in the a**. All stock for me, drives me nuts.

@417guy

did you solve the squeak issue?
Thanks for asking , I bought a new grease gun just for the “official” silicone lube from Prothane. I have lube all the bushings twice now in maybe 500 miles. Driver side still squeaks. Had it back to the alignment guy to check over since I just got new red line tires from Diamond Back. He said “ it takes awhile to get the grease all around”. I think the only solution may be to pull them. Off, wipe out any old grease, wipe in the silicone on all sides and reassemble. That’s what several videos show before assembly.
So, still fighting the squeak, but can only hear it on driver side. It didn’t squeak before I put the QA 1 upper arms on !!!

My car is just the opposite. Squeak is on the passenger side. I plan on removing the lower control arm and re-greasing it since I believe it to be the culprit. I'm gonna look into the red poly bushings on the sway bar first though. I agree with the embarrassment issue. I have all poly bushings and they have been quiet since 2015 til now.

I used the factory upper arms with rubber offset bushings, and PST's polygraphite bushings wherever they were available. That leaves me with polyurethane in the QA1 lower control arm, and in the sway bars.

AFAIK the lower control arm bushing doesn't rotate in the LCA, and the pin doesn't rotate in the bushing, so that shouldn't squeek. I hope.

Not sure what to do with the sway bars, but it's easy to disassemble and lube them.

Auto Transport Service
Back