• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

qtr vs 8

There’s one way to know for sure....... and it’s not that hard to do.

The soft performance is usually just the results that you get when the combo isn’t quite right, and/or not sorted out.

Too big of a cam, not enough stall, carb/timing not optimized, not enough gear, etc.

If the combo is at least good “on paper”, then you just have to start picking away at it.

Is this a street car or a race car?
I see something in a pic on your manifold thread that might help at the track.

Last edited:
I would say that you are not getting WOT, that linkage is ALL wrong, binding

Generally and in theory...

an open spacer would provide a HP boost at WOT

four hole spacer would help with torque down low.

On the flip side people say a taller spacer equals more torque as well. Becuase you are increasing plenum volume.

I think a major part of what makes the four hole better for torque is that the smaller and separate passages allow for the engine to suck in the fuel air mixture at a higher velocity (think thin straw vs fat straw)

My personal opinion is that one or the other probabaly makes very little tangible (feel-able) difference... all else being equal. Basically you probabaly wont notice the difference driving around.

I prefer the 4 hole design. It's a four barrel carb mating up to a four barrel intake so why would I put an open spacer on it? The answer is I didn't.

I made a four hole spacer custom out of a 1 inch thick phenolic garolite from McMaster carr.

I'll post a picture of it. It wasn't to hard to make.
And it works fine.

Auto Transport Service
Back