• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Qtr Window Inside Sweeps Replacement

terrywalker

Local time
6:33 PM
Reaction score
I removed the old inside window sweeps from the rear plastic pillar panels by carefully removing the steel staples. How are you 73 - 74 Charger owners reattaching the new quarter window sweeps to the pillar panel? The old staples were a heavy duty steel staple. See photo. Thanks for any help.
Terry

Qtr Window Inside Sweeps.jpg

I've never done it, would aluminum rivets work?

New seals should come with new staples, a bit of drilling and staple bending and they'll be just like new. Others use rivets and/or screws. I cheated on bending the staples out vs in, but was the only way I could hold them tightly in place and bend them over.

This is a '70 but same deal..
superbirdcleanup2019part2 023.JPG
superbirdcleanup2019part2 024.JPG
superbirdcleanup2019part2 025.JPG
superbirdcleanup2019part2 026.JPG
superbirdcleanup2019part2 027.JPG

Thanks for the responses. I did a test fit of the pillar panel tonight and a screw or pop rivet probably won't work because the lip of the pillar panel must fit over a flange. It looks like using staples is the best answer. I found this one on McMaster Carr. It's a heavy duty inside clinch and uses the 7/16" by 3/8" staple which is what the originals are. See it here: https://www.mcmaster.com/staplers/heavy-duty-inward-clinch-manual-staplers/
Anyone use one of these stapler? I hope the staple can penetrate the plastic without breaking it. I have a broken one to test it on.
See the attached photos I took of the fit. The one photo is of a staple taken from a broken panel I have. Thanks.
Terry

Pillar Inside Panel Fit 2.jpg Pillar Inside Panel Fit 1.jpg Pillar Panel Flange.jpg Qtr Window Sweep 2.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back