• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Quality Brake Drums for a 68 Coronet

JimKueneman

Local time
5:46 PM
Reaction score
Is it a dream to hope there are still quality brake drums available for old Mopars? I searched for new old stock but it looks like that well went dry long ago. Where would I look? If it says made it China I immediately place them in poor quality bin.

thanks,
Jim

Contact musclecarbrakes.com
You will play phone tag with them, but once you connect they are helpful.
Coworkers have their solution on chevelle and camaro and speak very highly of their drums, shoes, etc.

Is it a dream to hope there are still quality brake drums available for old Mopars? I searched for new old stock but it looks like that well went dry long ago. Where would I look? If it says made it China I immediately place them in poor quality bin.

thanks,
Jim
What rear? Oreilly's carries the finned drums for a dana/8 3/4 11" brakes....They are nice...

I have not heard of any coming apart, but have seen bad surface quality and runout. If you get a pair, I can turn them to true them up and leave a smooth surface.

I just put Centric brakes on my wife's truck, and looked there for you.

Here is what they have:

Rear: PN#123.63020 https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...c=pla-msn-_-shopping-_-srese2-_-centric-parts

Front: PN#123.63038 https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ceb-123-63038

Pics are not a true representation though. Merles sells Centric, so you can check with them.

Last edited:
Contact musclecarbrakes.com
You will play phone tag with them, but once you connect they are helpful.
Coworkers have their solution on chevelle and camaro and speak very highly of their drums, shoes, etc.

I was looking at them as well.

I have not heard of any coming apart, but have seen bad surface quality and runout. If you get a pair, I can turn them to true them up and leave a smooth surface.

That was the poor quality I was speaking of Dave. I will let you know what I decide.

Off to Rockford Illinois for the week. I will have plenty of time to think about it while I am shivering myself to sleep at night!

I updated my post Jim. I was very impressed with the Centric parts.

I updated my post Jim. I was very impressed with the Centric parts.
They do seem proud of their stuff on the website. In house engineering, customer service etc. do you have the tools to remove the staking on the bolts so they come out without hogging out the holes in the hub in order to get the front ones off the hub?

Centric and everybody on the "aftermarket" all come from the same source --and they are all "Chinesium" -- and you never see any 120 story buildings in
China -- because with that steel, they would be leaning like the leaning tower of Pisa........
I still do have some N.O.S. Front & Rear 10" Brake Drums --- and I DID!!!!!!!!!! have 10" x 2 1/2" N.O.S. (of course!!!!!) Front Hub & Drums up until last year!!!!
I also have N.O.S. ++ Asbestos ++ Brake Shoes ----- which are as critical as the N.O.S. Brake Drums........
The only problem is that you are in Arizona -- and I am in New York --- shipping will be a bunch ---- you coming my way, for pick up???????

What rear? Oreilly's carries the finned drums for a dana/8 3/4 11" brakes....They are nice...

I ordered two finned rear 11" drums, one from Amazon and the other from Rockauto. Rockauto only had one available at the time. Both are Raybestos. The one from Rockauto was very nice, crisp fins and correctly cut. The other, samepart number and manufacturer, looked like the mold was bad.very undefined fins and the cut inside was incomplete enough so that the shoes rubbed the unfinished inside edge. It seems to be a crap shoot.

I ordered two finned rear 11" drums, one from Amazon and the other from Rockauto. Rockauto only had one available at the time. Both are Raybestos. The one from Rockauto was very nice, crisp fins and correctly cut. The other, samepart number and manufacturer, looked like the mold was bad.very undefined fins and the cut inside was incomplete enough so that the shoes rubbed the unfinished inside edge. It seems to be a crap shoot.
Guess when you go to Oreillys one can open the box and decide on their own....Which I did at the time and they were fine....

I don't order junk from amazon or rockauto for any car they are notorious for reselling manufacture defects btw...

thanks,
Jim
My understanding is that you cannot buy an American "made" rotor. They are all cast in China, Taiwan, etc., shipped here to be machined and then claimed to be "American Made". I can't imagine brake drums would be any different.

Guess when you go to Oreillys one can open the box and decide on their own....Which I did at the time and they were fine....

I don't order junk from amazon or rockauto for any car they are notorious for reselling manufacture defects btw...

Source? I find it hard to belive a manufacturer would knowingly let substandard products out in the marketplace with their name on the label. I have not run into any issues with RA and have actually received old stock brake rebuild kits and cylinders, made in the USA. I have used them quite a bit, same quality product as I have found at NAPA for much less. They do have different grades of parts listed, from cheapskate parts to daily driver stuff. :)

Source? I find it hard to belive a manufacturer would knowingly let substandard products out in the marketplace with their name on the label. I have not run into any issues with RA and have actually received old stock brake rebuild kits and cylinders, made in the USA. I have used them quite a bit, same quality product as I have found at NAPA for much less. They do have different grades of parts listed, from cheapskate parts to daily driver stuff. :)
Source....I have friends that own businesses in the "car world" that has confirmed such....I listen to the experts that I trust...and relay that information to help others

A lot of things come from china as raw castings, and finished in the US. You say you would NEVER put a Chinese rotor/drum on you car? How about that Chinese cam from Comp Cams? Most all companies I grilled while looking for a cam for my 331 Hemi said that the blanks com from china and are finished in the US. This would be excepting billet cams I expect. There are different levels of quality from china, and when a part is made to a specific US spec, and QA'd by the US company, it is a good part as long as it passes. There is a definite difference between that $18 rotor, and the $75 ones I bought from Centric. They were cryo'd, powder coated (or painted), and had ground surfaces. I was quite impressed, and I didn't have to turn them to ensure no runout. In the absence of American Made products, I will settle for a QUALITY china made/US finished product. And yes, I am a machine shop and deal with this all the time.

A lot of things come from china as raw castings, and finished in the US. You say you would NEVER put a Chinese rotor/drum on you car? How about that Chinese cam from Comp Cams? Most all companies I grilled while looking for a cam for my 331 Hemi said that the blanks com from china and are finished in the US. This would be excepting billet cams I expect. There are different levels of quality from china, and when a part is made to a specific US spec, and QA'd by the US company, it is a good part as long as it passes. There is a definite difference between that $18 rotor, and the $75 ones I bought from Centric. They were cryo'd, powder coated (or painted), and had ground surfaces. I was quite impressed, and I didn't have to turn them to ensure no runout. In the absence of American Made products, I will settle for a QUALITY china made/US finished product. And yes, I am a machine shop and deal with this all the time.
No doubt...the old American made cams....cores made in China and shipped to com cams and ground down, lol..

Last edited:

Agreed Dave. If there was some real engineering involved and not just a company trying make knockoffs as cheap as possible are two entirely different things

Bought 10" drums for my '62 from NAPA. Went through a couple of sets before I found good ones. They were very cooperative with my analness. Look good for the price. Fronts have a smaller hub diameter.

Auto Transport Service
Back