• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Quality Brake Drums?

BNYCE

Local time
1:36 PM
Reaction score
Hi All,

I usually get a lot of my parts from places like Rock Auto, but I've found that the cheap Chinese drums they sell are hit-n-miss. Last set from there are not balanced and cause vibration at speed.

Can anyone recommend a supplier/manufacturer that supply quality (ie: balanced) drums? Chasing a pair of 10" x 2.5" for my 8.75 rear.

Thanks.

Got mine from NAPA and no issues with them

Thanks but nah, they sell the same Chinese sh1t.

I'd call musclecarbrakes.com
You will play phone tag, but they sell quality products.

I'd call musclecarbrakes.com
You will play phone tag, but they sell quality products.

x2.

I purchased "brakes in a box" for my Newport, and they are GREAT. Just make sure to bed the shoes and they will stop on a dime and make change.

And they are Canadian made drums-I specifically asked them about this, as I had the same concerns of cheap chi-com ****.

Pricey, but you are going to get what you pay for.

They are probably machined in the USA. I don't believe anyone in the U.S. is casting brake drums or rotors anymore. They are all (or at least most) made in China.

Don't know. I'm just the messenger

Fellow coworker has a 68 Chevrolet chevelle 396 ss. Musclecarbrakes drums, shoes, and wheel cylinders on all four.

That car stops. I drove it and was amazed.

They are probably machined in the USA. I don't believe anyone in the U.S. is casting brake drums or rotors anymore. They are all (or at least most) made in China.

This is my belief as well. Unless you get lucky and find new old stock parts from a parts house the drums are going to be chinese. The repop companies are guaranteed to be chinese.

I bought two front drums last year, same part number, same manufacturer (Raybestos)....one was crisp and nice looking, I think was made in Mexico, and the other was made from a well used casting, not crisp at all and had flashing issues, made in china. So even new quality is hit or miss.

This is my belief as well. Unless you get lucky and find new old stock parts from a parts house the drums are going to be chinese. The repop companies are guaranteed to be chinese.

I bought two front drums last year, same part number, same manufacturer (Raybestos)....one was crisp and nice looking, I think was made in Mexico, and the other was made from a well used casting, not crisp at all and had flashing issues, made in china. So even new quality is hit or miss.
The quality issues make it difficult to buy from online sellers because of the return/exchange hassle of shipping back. This is the kind of thing that has me converting to rear discs. Its expensive, but I have reasonable confidence that the Wilwood components will be of consistent quality.

I think those drums were used on many Mopar vehicles from '64 to the early '80s. You could get a list by putting in a part number search for a given drum mfr on the Rock Auto site and find the vehicles it fits. Then take the list and begin a salvage yard search. Might get lucky and find a couple of decent sets.

I purchased Bendix drums and disks from Auto Parts Warehouse 5 years ago, the site still states that Bendix are made in Acuna Mexico, Frankfort, Ky.; and Huntington, In. Anyway, I haven't had any issues with them and they were good castings.

There is a company in Minnesota that has old stuff but can't remember the name. Might be something to check into if someone knows or remembers the name

I bought some Raybestos drums from Rockauto. I called Raybestos and asked where they were made. He said China and make sure I turn the drums before installing them. Sure enough, they were off.

My boxes said "Made in USA"

I'll try APW, see how I go. Thanks @idrivemopar .

These NAPA drums are the same Chinese Raybestos drums that I got from Rock Auto. Raised center section is cast off-center, causing a vibration. No balance weight welded on.

napa.jpg

I'll try APW, see how I go. Thanks @idrivemopar .

These NAPA drums are the same Chinese Raybestos drums that I got from Rock Auto. Raised center section is cast off-center, causing a vibration. No balance weight welded on.

I’d place a call to Napa and ask, a lot of times those are just default photos, not the actual product photo. When I ran drums i got a set of the Chinese crap from oreillys never had an issue with them.

Auto Transport Service
Back