• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Quarter Patch Panel Help!

Dbl_R69

Local time
3:48 PM
Reaction score
I have a question for my fellow 68-70 Roadrunner owners or Coronet. I need to buy a replacement lower quarter patch panel for my 69 RR due to rust. the thing is, the rust/damage comes up pretty far... a little above the side marker.

my question is, have any of you purchased a patch panel through AMD? if so, how high up does the sheet metal actually go? heres a picture of my lower quarter. thanks in advance

20170723_135316.jpg
20170723_135400.jpg

I would put a full quarter on or at a min buy a full quarter and cut your patch from it.

you also have rust over the wheel and in front of the wheel, even if you can't see it....... band aide patching will only buy a little time, plus you will have ugly seams inside the trunk....... you need a quarter, outer wheelhouse, and a trunk drop off at a minimum.......

be careful, this is where it turns into a giant can of worms, involving a trunk pan, dutchman, and everything on the other side too

What about a new quarter skin? Not really sure what exactly is the difference between the full quarter panel and a quarter skin. But if the only difference is the amount of metal than that would save me a couple $100s.

I think 1/4 skin is just above body line at top

What about a new quarter skin? Not really sure what exactly is the difference between the full quarter panel and a quarter skin. But if the only difference is the amount of metal than that would save me a couple $100s.
The money you save by doing that pales in comparison to the cost of labor. With a side skin there is a WHOLE lot more welding ( and in a visible area ) than a full quarter.

You should also check your trunk rain gutters for rust before deciding. A full quarter has new gutters. Skins dont.
And look on the bottom side of your dutchman panel , to see what shape its in. As you would be welding to it.

Yeah, do the whole quarter...drill the spot welds with a Blair spot weld saw & tack the new quarter in on the factory spot weld positions, preferably with a spot welder to keep heat to a minimum. If You patch, You are going to have to stitch weld the patches which will produce gobs of heat which in turn will generate gobs of heat distortion in sheet metal surrounding patch which results in gobs of bodywork to be done. You are much better off replacing whole qtr. , will probably save money in long run & wind up with a superior result.

Depending on how deep you need to dig - here is another tip. If your trunk floor is bad, you can slide in a solid 1 piece floor while the quarter is off. Otherwise it has to be in 2 pieces.

Fortunately the trunk floor and even the extensions are in good shape. From what I can see no rust has reached either of those areas. Basically all the rust is on the quarter skin from the top of the side marker down (what you can see in the pic). I have a body man who does great metal work so I'm not worried about how it would come out. But would it be more cost effective to just get the skin? Or just do the whole quarter? I don't want to be cheap about it but every $$$ I don't spend on metal work will help me with other areas on the car.

if that trunk drop off isn't at least bordering on swiss cheese, I'll eat my hat

same goes for the outer wheelhouse lip, and everything else mentioned

swiss_cheese.jpg

that being said, keep it small, or your car will be apart for years

I've put the whole quarters on a 69 RR recently. Like everyone said is a ton of work waiting once you start cutting that quarter off. AMD quarters fit but not perfect. I would patch it with a AMD quarter skin if you can get away with it. It took a year just to get the new quarters and trunk pan on mine after all the other issue that were hidden.

Auto Transport Service
Back