• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question about 1971 "yellow" Charger R/T I had

biomedtechguy

Accelerati Rapidus Maximus
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:15 AM
Reaction score
I want to say the yellow on my 71 Charger R/T was "solar yellow" but that was a LONG time ago. The paint was 100% factory, and not some "off color" yellow, but it seems like it was more pastel than my 70 Roadrunner in Lemon Twist, but my Roadrunner is not the factory original paint.
Anyway, I have an arrow pointing to what my memory says was the yellow on my Charger on a picture of the multicolor Barracuda, which I have seen in person. I also have a scan of a Polaroid of my old R/T Charger.
Let me know what you think, and was there a "solar yellow" for Dodge in 71?
Screenshot_20211005-111043_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_2017-06-19-11-16-04.png

i had a 68 in SS1 sunfire yellow........it's very pale in comparison, I liked it

I agree it looks like "correct" FY1 Top Banana/ Lemon Twist.

That color is very difficult to get correct.

Last edited:
Should I ask what happened to that car? Probably not.

I have a 68 Cuda that was originally Sunfire yellow and it is VERY pale. That 71 looks to be Top Banana yellow in the pic but as stated pictures of the time are deceiving.

72charger04_jpg.jpg

There is a "creamyness" to Banana/Top Banana/Lemon Twist that often gets left out of the mix.

Bio's pic seems to show that.

FY1 and I like it in that photo. I see a lot of fresh paint FY1 that I don't really care for.

Regardless of the Polaroid, I washed and waxed the Charger more than once.
The "pastel tone" of Lemon Twist/Top Bananna is either difficult to match or "left out". I do like the color of my 70 Roadrunner, but it's "close" to Lemon Twist, but probably not a 100% match.
The yellow on the Charger in the picture was probably a bit faded, but overall, it was uniform and not hazed, so there's that too.
Thanks for the replies.
Should I ask what happened to that car? Probably not.
On the far right of the Polaroid of the Charger, you can barely see the passenger side headlight of my new, ordered to my specifications, 1979 Aspen R/T. Black w/Gold strobe stripes and the top V8, the E58 "police" 360 4bbl. It was really nice to have a new car that I didn't have to pay for, but when my parents (it was not them but my grandmother who bought my new car) said "You don't need 2 cars" I had to sell the Charger. It would have happened eventually anyway, and I like my V-code Roadrunner way better anyway.

Auto Transport Service
Back