• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question about ballast bypass and diff Ign setups

Nacho-RT74

Local time
9:25 PM
Reaction score
Have a question...
If stock systems use the ballast having the coil constantly hot from ign switch, and knowing the Ignitor system requires a full 12 volts source... shouldn't the coil still get the resistor hooked up and Ignitor being sourced from a diff + source?

I know Ign III is multispark, kinda the MSD, but MSD sources both leads of coil from its module, so the coil is not constantly hot, but coil on Ignitor III is still hooked up like factory. Even worst on I and II which are not multispark as far I know.

I remember their installing instructions saying bypass the ballast being able to source the ignitor module from + lead of coil, but something sounds out of logic here

petronix likes 12VDC. Make sure you use a matching coil also. Most people jump the ballast resistor on the back.

Yes I know pertronix needs 12 volts, but bypassing the ballast on the regular method the coil will get also 12 volts, so shouldn't be used the stock coil... right ? thats is not specified ( as far I recall ) on pertronix ignitors systems instructions

MSD RTR distributors are on same deal! The internal module triggers the coil on - lead of coil just like stock, not feeding both leads on coils like external MSD modules

Bypass the ballast. Like Halifax said, most people jump the ballast with a piece of wire on the back, that way you can retain the stock look if that matters to you

petronix likes 12VDC. Make sure you use a matching coil also. Most people jump the ballast resistor on the back.
THIS!!
Do this:
Flame-Thrower III coils feature an ultra low resistance and are designed specifically for the Ignitor III ignition system. Flame-Thrower III coils have a high turns ratio and ultra low primary resistance enabling the ignition system to charge faster at high RPM's.
https://pertronix.com/plug-wires-and-coils/ignition-coils/coils-flamethrower-iii.html

Bypass the ballast. Like Halifax said, most people jump the ballast with a piece of wire on the back, that way you can retain the stock look if that matters to you

there is a better and cleaner way to do it

343796-8aeb8f6f7c9edb5084df6004233172f6.jpg

remove resistor from groove on back and replace it with a jumper wire

that's nice, but still instructions sheets doesn't specify that about Ignitors systems, neither MSD about their RTR dist. I mean, they recomend to use their Coils ( as any Ignition system manufacturer recomending their products ) but not say MANDATORY due the ballast bypass and heating due the voltage

Perhaps you should define your interpretation of what you mean by "ignitor systems". Do you mean IGNITION systems? Or are you asking about coil-on plug systems (no distributor)? Halifaxhops elequantly and simply describes what needs to be done as does Biomedtechguy.
BOB RENTON

I meant IGNITORRRRs ( I, II and III ) and all those who are wired similar, like MSD RTR distributors and similar ones, who get a full 12 volts reaching the coil and not being feeded by any external module on both coil leads

Bypass the ballast.
Do that!!!
1: Bypass the ballast
2: Get the Flamethrower III ignition coil
3: Become a HUGE fan of Pertronix products in general, and the Ignitor III module and Flamethrower III coil, and report back here.

that's nice, but still instructions sheets doesn't specify that about Ignitors systems, neither MSD about their RTR dist. I mean, they recomend to use their Coils ( as any Ignition system manufacturer recomending their products ) but not say MANDATORY due the ballast bypass and heating due the voltage
The Ignitor III does multiple spark throughout the entire RPM range, unlike MSD that reverts back to one big spark beyond a certain RPM level.
Here are what I believe are the most pertinent parameters of the Flamethrower III coil, that are particularly complimentary to the Ignitor III module:
45,000 volts, and...
  • Ultra Low 0.32 primary resistance.
  • Charges to peak current typically 30-70% faster than other coils.
  • Rapid charge time means maximum spark energy is sustained to higher engine RPM.

I meant IGNITORRRRs ( I, II and III ) and all those who are wired similar, like MSD RTR distributors and similar ones, who get a full 12 volts reaching the coil and not being feeded by any external module on both coil leads

Sorry....I did not know as to which system you were referring to. Re the origional MSD system, it is my understanding that it is a Capacitor Discharge type of system. The internal capacitor and switching system, when triggered, sends a high voltage DC spike (~ 400÷ volts) to the coil thru both wires, which the coil, then in turn, boosts up to 40,000 volts (+/-), depending on the coil's primary to secondary turns ratio and inductive reactance. All these charge/discharge cycles take time, which becomes shorter and shorter as RPM's increase. With the advent of Insulated Gate Bi-polar Transistors (IGBT), these switching events can occur faster making the new generation of stuff better, more reliable and sometimes cheaper. Just my opinion of course.
BOB RENTON

Guys, I'm not thinking on get any other ignition system. I'm plenty with my Rev-N-Nator. I'm just exposing a doubt about the diff systems using or not ballast even still being wired the same ( and NOT the regular MSD module, which drives both coil leads at the same time ).

Why stock system requires a ballast to not overheat the coil with full 12 volts, while aftermarket systems such as the ignitor series and RTR distributors are wired on diagrams with coils getting 12 volts like will never overheat.

And think on this: even still every ignition system ADVICES to use X or Y coils ( usually their own brand, of course ) they don't expose it as MANDATORY, so any customer will still be able to use the stock coil with these ignitions systems... so making to get 12 volts on stock coils without overheat using this ignition systems ? Something doesn't make sense to me.

Auto Transport Service
Back