• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question about ID'ing a '70 833

Local time
7:26 PM
Reaction score
Quick questions from a Mopar newbie:

I am still in the parts collecting phase for my '70 Satellite resto mod (not a restoration/numbers issue here), and would like to go a833 4 spd. (and of course would prefer 18 spline but only have about $600 to spend). I plan on building a 400 stroker (550 ft/lbs range) eventually with either 3:73's or 4:11's, but the car will only be street driven, I an not worried about timeslips but want to scare myself a little now and then off the line :grin:

So, the questions are:

1. Is the dual shifter mount all I need to see when ID'ing a '70 long shaft 833?
  2. Spline count in the input is the only indicator for Hemi vs. Non Hemi version right?
  3. Will a 23 spline hold up ok, or should I just look for a 18 spline from the get go?

Thanks much!

1. Is the dual shifter mount all I need to see when ID'ing a '70 long shaft 833?
  2. Spline count in the input is the only indicator for Hemi vs. Non Hemi version right?
  3. Will a 23 spline hold up ok, or should I just look for a 18 spline from the get go?

Thanks much!

1) Unless the tail housing has been swapped...yes.

2) No. The front bearing retainer is a size unique to the Hemi piece. But go by the spline count.

3) Unless you're gonna be running sticky tires and side step the clutch it should be fine.

4) $600 is kinda cheap for a Hemi box these days....good luck

Great responese thank you!

That is what I thought about the price for the Hemi trans too, so I thought I would stick with the 23 spline as funds/time permitted (and if it would hold up)...

Anyone have a recommendation about putting Passon's overdrive gear in? Wondering if the cost/effort/benefit was worth it?

Dumb question about the OD the way I phrased it. Wondering if anyone had a gut feel but I can make that decision when the time comes.

I have my eye on a 23 spline from a 69 RR, and the seller thought that Mopar performance sold an adapter for the 68-69 tail housing for a 70+. If so, I might consider it since '70 units seem to be hard to find. Ever heard of this adapter?

Not that hard to find. I already sold one 70 B/E tail housing to a gent this year

The 23 spline will be just fine. I ran one in an A body Super stock car for years and never broke it. The 69 B body trany will work, as B bodys use the front shifter mount. The rear mount is for E and 71 and later B body. As far as the Od if your just going to drive it on the street. The Od will help with the hiway driving. Give Passion a call, Jamie is a good guy that wont steer you wrong.

Dumb question about the OD the way I phrased it. Wondering if anyone had a gut feel but I can make that decision when the time comes.

I have my eye on a 23 spline from a 69 RR, and the seller thought that Mopar performance sold an adapter for the 68-69 tail housing for a 70+. If so, I might consider it since '70 units seem to be hard to find. Ever heard of this adapter?
You only need the one mount to put the trans in your B body car. The rear mount is for E body's been there done that. YOU CAN DRILL A 3/8 HOLE IN THE BOTTOM OF YOUR CROSSMEMBER FOR A 69 833 MOUNT.

Auto Transport Service
Back