• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question about the Carter BBD

MustangAndy

Local time
5:39 AM
Reaction score
-yes I looked: http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/search.php?searchid=546751

Anyway. Reached the conclusion the BBD under the hood is shot. I've torn it apart, cleaned and reassmbled numerous times. And everytime the car fires up right away then stutters then drowns itself in fuel. Even with the one barrels air screw CLOSED it still managed to putter along for a bit. Would this remanufactured one work? it looks a bit different than the one I have now.

Also some of the remans I've seen have a large vacuum fitting on top of the accelerator pump cover - what's that for?

Reman-
getimage.php

Mine-
71Charger0036.jpg

By the looks of the engine the car has been sitting, for how long? I would suggest dropping the gas tank and clean it thoroughly, blow out the fuel line, check any rubber lines and replace and a new fuel filter.

That carb will probably work, but without doing the rest your fighting a loosing battle.

You said you have had the carb apart, did you clean with carb cleaner? Blow out all the passages with compressed air?

By the looks of the engine the car has been sitting, for how long? I would suggest dropping the gas tank and clean it thoroughly, blow out the fuel line, check any rubber lines and replace and a new fuel filter.

That carb will probably work, but without doing the rest your fighting a loosing battle.

You said you have had the carb apart, did you clean with carb cleaner? Blow out all the passages with compressed air?

Been sitting for at least 20 years. Massachusetts inspection sticker expired in 1987.

There's something in the tank - probably varnish, but I'm not pumping from that. I replaced the fuel pump and have it draw from a funnel wedged into the corner, which I pour fresh gas into. There is a new glass filter in place and it is catching some stuff.

As for apart - yep carb cleaner, compressed air (90psi) chased all the passages out, removed the gunk sitting in the bowls, etc.

That large fitting on top of the bowl is the bowl vent. Before that it was open to atmosphere, part of the new clean air system they piped it into the valve cover breather to capture hydrocarbons, draw them through the engine and back to the manifold via the P.C.V. Your flooding really sounds like a stuck needle seat.

If your sure you're getting clean gas in there then I would make one more attempt at the carb. By now you know it so tear it down again and check your float level. Submerse the float in some gas and see if you're getting any air bubbles. Shake it and see if you can hear anything in it. If it's flooding out I would think float issues. Did you set the float level to spec?

If and when you get it running good, ditch the glass fuel filter. They can break and cause a fire.

Did you rebuild the carb or just clean it?

One that sits 20 yrs, has to be rebuilt, w/new floats, needle and seat, etc...

That large fitting on top of the bowl is the bowl vent. Before that it was open to atmosphere, part of the new clean air system they piped it into the valve cover breather to capture hydrocarbons, draw them through the engine and back to the manifold via the P.C.V. Your flooding really sounds like a stuck needle seat.

The needle seat is new - maybe it's a defective one?

If your sure you're getting clean gas in there then I would make one more attempt at the carb. By now you know it so tear it down again and check your float level. Submerse the float in some gas and see if you're getting any air bubbles. Shake it and see if you can hear anything in it. If it's flooding out I would think float issues. Did you set the float level to spec?

If and when you get it running good, ditch the glass fuel filter. They can break and cause a fire.

Floats aren't leaking and don't have any fluid in them. and yea floats are to spec. Used a tiny ruler I found in my garage. As for the glass filter does anybody make one similar that uses a plastic or other material for a window?

Did you rebuild the carb or just clean it?

One that sits 20 yrs, has to be rebuilt, w/new floats, needle and seat, etc...

Rebuilt with new parts and cleaned.

I'll order one more rebuild kit and give it one last chance.

_

The one pictured on the engine I believe is a Holley. Drowning in fuel usually means the float is sticking or somehow is not shutting off the needle. Carefully check everything.

Auto Transport Service
Back