• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question about trunk hinge tension

moparshaker

Local time
2:53 PM
Reaction score
i have 71 charger and have installed a go wing , so trunk lid doesn't stay up now. can the tension be adjusted with the rods running across deck filler? i see it has a few slots in the bracket under hinge and my thought it might be to adjust load. thanks for any help tim

Yes, those slots are for that purpose. Just be Careful. I smashed my left thumb/nail bad enough I went to the ER back in 2009. The nail bed is still not normal. Think Giant rat trap!
Mike

Yes, those slots are for that purpose. Just be Careful. I smashed my left thumb/nail bad enough I went to the ER back in 2009. The nail bed is still not normal. Think Giant rat trap!
Mike
I did too, just before I ripped those f*ckers out of there, with prejudice, and installed gas lifts on mine. My temper has a short fuse...lol.

There is a special tool to adjust those, I know some members here have made their own tools that worked well.
No need to rip a finger off.

so i quess it might be wise to remove trunk lid to release tension from hinges then. does anyone know this tool name or where i could buy one thanks for info

You don't need to remove the deck lid, just hold it all the way open with something to release the tension while your working.
I've used a large screwdriver in the past, just need to be careful.

I just did this on mine as my GoWing was causing the same issue as yours. I used a ratchet strap hooked to the trunk striker and other end to the rod. Controlled and safe. I made a post about it, and there was a picture of the tool that you can make pretty easily that someone chimed in with. Maybe do a search. It was within the last month.

From your suggested thread:

http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/trunk-hood-adjustment.117007/#post-910726256

044-jpg-jpg.jpg

heys guys thanks for the info and pic of the tool . i was able to make the tool with scrap around here and my mig welder and it made changing the tension rod location a breeze. now my trunk and go wing stay up like it just took the blue pill

laugh.gif

Auto Transport Service
Back