• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question about what direction to go with 440 refresh.

Beekeeper

It’s a disease without a cure!
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:12 AM
Reaction score
I have a 440 that was installed in my 69 bee I removed it to originally do a re gasket and seal
and fresh paint. Since I didn’t do the rebuild on it and wanted to know what components were used and after pulling the intake and valley pan along with heads I found that it’s .30 over with flat top speed pro pistons L2266 . There’s no ridge and the cross hatching is still visible in the cylinders and was thinking about doing a stroker. So would it be crazy to think of doing a light cylinder hone and go the stroker direction or should I just leave the bottom end as is and throw on a set of trick flow 240 heads. This will be a street driven car just want to up the hp
and make it more fun to drive.

Even though u can see the hone marks good and no ridge the bores may be too big for the pistons u select. Why not just refresh it with rings, bearings and maybe a modern camshaft. Trickflows are very good heads. Kim

I would not tear into a good running engine. When you do a stroker, which will be sweet BTW, you are really only going to need a stock block and a few other stock items. Therefore, I would pick up a core engine to do the stroker, and sell the good running engine when the time comes to swap them out. You'll be dollars ahead, and wont end up with a bunch of junk parts layin around.

I would not tear into a good running engine. When you do a stroker, which will be sweet BTW, you are really only going to need a stock block and a few other stock items. Therefore, I would pick up a core engine to do the stroker, and sell the good running engine when the time comes to swap them out. You'll be dollars ahead, and wont end up with a bunch of junk parts layin around.
That’s a very good idea also. Kim

That would be the smartest route to take I think I will see how far in the hole the pistons are now.
Wondering what the closed trick flows would put the compression at and wondering about valve clearance

The L2266 Pistons are built about .090" down the hole at TDC.
meaning,
using a "composition" style Head gasket like a Fel-Pro or others, you have a quench distance over 1/8" or around .130" assuming no Block Milling.
Just say'in here....
I don't think it matter's what Heads you use for C.R. ? and any engine with L2266 Pistons would be my LAST choice candidate for a decent Head Swap ?
Because with a 1/8" quench distance efficiencies to cylinder scavenging on overlap may be questionable at best ? with some tuning/detonation that may also present under most HP ignition curves ?

Well I been looking over this whole block and pulled the left side head to have look it’s a boat anchor #3
hole is trashed! It’s cracked through to water jacket
At the head bolt location:mad:
30688734-D6AD-48E8-AF2A-BCA5FDD46E69.jpeg

So now guess I’ll be starting a new build

Time to put the matching 383 back where it belongs

What’s the cost of a sleeve job these days?

From the picture it doesn't look like a recent rebuild to me.
But it's only one picture I suppose.

Auto Transport Service
Back