• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question concerning torsion bars

pearljam724

Local time
4:04 AM
Reaction score
My passenger torsion bar adjuster turns easily. The driver side won’t budge and I can see the threads on the adjuster bolt are oxidized fairly enough. My car sits level in the front. But, I was interested in adding an inch or so height.
My questions are. Would that seized adjuster bolt be infact the problem ? Or would a seized torsion bar cause it ? Is the adjuster bolt and little plate replaceable without removing the torsion bar if in fact the adjuster bolt causing the problem ? Im assuming I know the answers to my questions because I see a lot of videos concerning people removing torsion bars for replacement. Does the bar spin with height adjustment ?

No bar wouldn’t be the problem. It’s the bolt that’s seized sounds like. A little pb blaster soaking may be in order. You can remove the bolt and plate without removing the torsion bar. Put car on jack stands and back it out.

Use PB blaster on the threads to attempt to turn the adjuster bolt. Replacements are available if it's too corroded. Raise an inch or so ? Ride height is an alignment specification, see FSM. You'll need to align the front suspension.

I've had great results using PB Blaster too. I squirt the stubborn part every other day for a week. Probably overkill, but that's me.

My passenger torsion bar adjuster turns easily. The driver side won’t budge and I can see the threads on the adjuster bolt are oxidized fairly enough. My car sits level in the front. But, I was interested in adding an inch or so height.
My questions are. Would that seized adjuster bolt be infact the problem ? Or would a seized torsion bar cause it ? Is the adjuster bolt and little plate replaceable without removing the torsion bar if in fact the adjuster bolt causing the problem ? Im assuming I know the answers to my questions because I see a lot of videos concerning people removing torsion bars for replacement. Does the bar spin with height adjustment ?
The torsion bars are anchored at the crossmember that runs laterally across the car from rocker panel to rocker panel. The bar twists as the lower control arm goes up and down. They do get weaker over time, the thinner they are, the quicker they wear out.
The screw in the adjuster in the lower control arm can get corroded or rusty and be hard to turn. PB Blaster, CRC 550, WD-40 or another penetrant should be used, spray from the top up and the bottom down, soak the bolt good.
You can replace the bolt and threaded plate but the car would need to be up on a lift or jack stands so that the tires can hang, taking the weight off of the torsion bars FULLY.
I suggest to soak them with something, then try turning the bolt/screw back and forth a bit to crack it loose.
If you are able to get the adjuster bolts to turn, do so. Most of the time, I do adjustments with the car resting on its tires. You will have to start the car and drive forward and back several feet to release the tension from the adjustments.
Good luck....REPORT back!

The proper application of heat can help after the week-long soaking with PB Blaster. I use MAPP gas (yellow container). It is a mixture of acetylene and propane gasses. It generates more heat quickly than just propane gas. Heat the the threaded portion that receives the bolt and then apply torque to break free. Apply PB Blaster again if it won't turn. Don't breathe the fumes. Wait awhile and then hit it with heat again and try to turn the bolt again. I've never had to repeat more than 3 times on a different part.

Thanks, all of you. I’ll hit with PB time and time again over the next few weeks. Regardless, If I increase the height or not.
So, a 1 inch height adjustment is definitely going to require an alignment ? I understand that drastically changing the ride height would. I would think that if it’s too much. The outer tire treads would wear more quickly. Would a suggestion be, after a 1 inch increase in height. Pay close attention to the outer treads over a short period of time. Folllowing the adjustment. Or is it something that’s guaranteed to need aligned afterwards ?

You might want to reverse those two if you want to actually get any penetrant on the threads.
Just sayin'. :)
I was thinking the right way, I just wrote it out wrong. Thank you.

My passenger torsion bar adjuster turns easily.
Honestly, that sounds a little suspect. If the weight of the car is on the ground, neither adjuster should turn 'easily'. Those adjuster bolts, once set, have a bit of tension on 'em.
Never happened to me, but have heard tales about those bolts, threads get stripped, or even the bolts breaking! So, word is take it slow.
Every one I've done, a handful of front end rebuilds, I use door-eze, the wax stick stuff, and coat the bolt threads. Holds down the rust, besides adding some lube.

If that adjuster bolt is that hard, of course, get as much tension off of it, to get it to turn.

Honestly, that sounds a little suspect. If the weight of the car is on the ground, neither adjuster should turn 'easily'. Those adjuster bolts, once set, have a bit of tension on 'em.
Never happened to me, but have heard tales about those bolts, threads get stripped, or even the bolts breaking! So, word is take it slow.
Every one I've done, a handful of front end rebuilds, I use door-eze, the wax stick stuff, and coat the bolt threads. Holds down the rust, besides adding some lube.

If that adjuster bolt is that hard, of course, get as much tension off of it, to get it to turn.
The car was raised. If you can turn an adjuster on one of these, with the tires on the ground. You would have immense talent, lol !

If you can turn an adjuster on one of these, with the tires on the ground.
Better re-check that.
Those are the adjuster bolts, to set ride height/tension on the bars. Go through the short list for adjusting, that includes engine in car, weight of the car on the wheels (ground or lift), to set that adjustment.

I can only advise that you NEVER-EVER use an impact gun to adjust your torsion bar adjusting bolts!! If you do it enough times, you will strip out the threads and drop the car on your ******* head in a split second with zero warning.

Turn the adjustment bolts with no weight on the tires. Support the car by the K-frame or frame, not by lower control arms. Count the turns to keep them equal. (Clockwise raises the car.) One full turn each will be noticed. Then set it back on the ground, move the car backwards and fowards about the length of the car to settle the suspension.

Never heard of leaving the car on the ground when tightening the torsion bars. I would think if you’re lowering the weight of the car could help

Auto Transport Service
Back