• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question for all you Okies out there

hawkeye

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:10 AM
Reaction score
I have been kicking around the idea of buying a place in the western Ouachita mountains in southeast Oklahoma. Thought about north Texas for awhile but the property taxes are pretty steep and it is full of Texans (just joking). For the next several years it would be just be a winter retreat but then I would look to retire there. Pretty isolated but the people seem very friendly. Not the 70, 80 degree warmth of south Texas or Florida but the average Jan Feb temps are in the 50's. Beats the hell out of the temps here in north Missouri. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks.

We looked at South Texas due to an article in USA Today about Harlingen being the best and least expensive area. Decided on South Padre Island as we really like the beach. Weather is great and taxes are not bad.

Two words for that corner of Oklahoma. OIL and GAS.
You forgot 'dirt' lol!

I have some family around Hugo. The ones that stayed during the dust bowl years. Some have 'migrated' as far as Cuthand Tx (where?) but I always enjoy the visits. Mostly small-towns and rural life around that part of the state for sure..still gets warm in summer but I don't remember it being as humid like further south into Texas. Not a bad area at all if you're looking for the country life..

Just about to escape California for northeast Oklahoma. I'm originally from Tulsa and I can't wait.
Some of my buddies back home are telling me about the 1.79/gallon gas they're buying right now.......

Last edited:
That's the part I miss most about Kansas and Oklahoma. The thunderstorms are awe-inspiring. Supercells don't always produce tornadoes, sometimes they are just pretty. We always said if the daylight turned yellow look out. If if tuned green take cover.

Last edited:
That's the part I miss most about Kansas and Oklahoma. The thunderstorms are awe-inspiring. Supercells don't always produce tornadoes, sometimes they are just pretty. We always said it the daylight turned yellow look out. If if tuned green take cover.

Dang, I can't wait to sit on my porch and watch that.....

Off subject but there is an old German settlement some where in Southern Kansas that was built entirely under ground. Hidden from Indians, no fear off seasonal prairie fires, tornado's no problem and well protected from harsh cold plains winters. Last I read about it was 20 years ago. It was privately owned and could be toured by reservation only. I have no idea where this place really is.

The new place in Oklahoma. Great house and 40x50 heated and insulated shop.

2-2939596858.jpg 2-2939608613.jpg 2-2939662507.jpg 2-2939749642.jpg 2-2939774116.jpg 2-2939711488.jpg

Off subject but there is an old German settlement some where in Southern Kansas that was built entirely under ground. Hidden from Indians, no fear off seasonal prairie fires, tornado's no problem and well protected from harsh cold plains winters. Last I read about it was 20 years ago. It was privately owned and could be toured by reservation only. I have no idea where this place really is.
I believe you are referring to Ellinwood ks, it is in central ks.

My son-in-laws parents live near Stillwater.. they and many in the area have lost their foundations to a crazy number of miner earthquakes. Expensive to repair and insurance companies are refusing to pay.

It is located about 30 miles west of Mena Arkansas. Southern Le Flore county.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back