• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question for rebuilding leaf springs

Bogey

Local time
5:08 PM
Reaction score
Quick question for you experts....I'm rebuilding leaf springs and want to know if any lubricant should be applied between each leaf and if so, what lubricant is recommended?

Quick question for you experts....I'm rebuilding leaf springs and want to know if any lubricant should be applied between each leaf and if so, what lubricant is recommended?
None required or wanted. If the spaces between leaves filled up with dirt the spring would grind itself to death. There should be galvanized pieces of sheet metal between the leaves though.
Mike

I have never used anything between the leafs, but those have all been for drag racing. I don't put the galvanized pieces back in.

I believe the inter-liners are made of zinc, the zinc acts as a lubricant to prevent dry squeaking. The cheap ones are galvanized steel, the good ones are pure zinc.

None required or wanted. If the spaces between leaves filled up with dirt the spring would grind itself to death. There should be galvanized pieces of sheet metal between the leaves though.
Mike
Thanks so much Mike...appreciate the quick reply...

Auto Transport Service
Back