• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question for the restoration experts

qkcuda

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:29 AM
Reaction score
I recently replaced my spare tire on my 66 Charger with a more modern one. In looking at the stock 14 inch wheel I noticed that it appears to have been painted gray from the factory and that just the outside face was painted black. The outside has obviously been touched up, but the back appears to be original paint. I thought they were painted all black. Anybody seen this before?

IMG_20221009_104938067_HDR.jpg

IMG_20221009_104955938_HDR.jpg

Check the date code, but I would believe that's possibly original

When I got my 66 Charger 12 years ago, I replaced the spare tire and if it was ever used it was not for long. Bias ply and way too old to ever be trusted if it was needed, anyways wheel was the same as yours. Black outer gray inner.

Yup, that would be original as I recall...

I recently replaced my spare tire on my 66 Charger with a more modern one. In looking at the stock 14 inch wheel I noticed that it appears to have been painted gray from the factory and that just the outside face was painted black. The outside has obviously been touched up, but the back appears to be original paint. I thought they were painted all black. Anybody seen this before?

View attachment 1356236

View attachment 1356237
That's the way they came from the factory, you can see the black over spray on the inside of the rim of your spare.

You can see the way the factory painted the rims in this picture

rim.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back