• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question for the rust experts

beeguy

Banned
Banned
Local time
6:54 AM
Reaction score
I about have my Bee stripped to bare metal and as expected for my area there is almost no rust, almost. the bottom of the rear 1/4's have rust from dirt in the trunk drop offs holding water that leaked in over the 30 years it sat outside, and there are 3" X 3 " spot in the very bottom of the rear 1/4 right infront of the rear wheel from the same thing since the idiot left the windows down.

I already have repair panels for the rear areas but I'm not sure if it's really needed to weld in patches for those little areas? if I put one of the rust treatments on the inside and treat the outside before prime it will this come back to haunt me? it's just minor pin holes in an area the size of your palm.

Only way to get rid of rust is to replace the panel. Rust inhibitors and treatments slow the process down some alot more than others, but it will always come back.

cut off the lowers and replace em.........its all crusty in there and will haunt you for ever

Alright, I was hoping for a easy way out. if rust was something I had to deal with much I'd scream.

Rust is rust , if you don't get rid of it or cut it out it will come back guaranteed.

All you have to do is seal it from oxygen. If you cut and weld in a patch and don't paint or undercoat the back side of the repair, it will rust from the inside out and bubble under the paint.

Rust is like Cancer guys, if you don't completely remove it it will come back to haunt you. The patch panels do not have to be installed as a whole. The key is to determine how far it has travelled on the INSIDE of the panel. The exterior may look ok but a good rule of thumb is it has probably spread 2-3 times the area you can see from the outside. Once determined, the replacement section shoud overlap the removed section by 1/2 to 1 inch and use a weld thru primer in the weld joint area. Butt welding is possible, but requires a high degree of skill. Another thing to consider is accessability for welding. It's important to access the backside during welding for hammer and dolly work, as well as once completed to ensure corrosion protection can be applied so all your hard work isn't just a temporary thing. If you need more advice let me know...I've been doing this for far too long.

Auto Transport Service
Back