• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question on 69 B5 colour

aussiewannabee69

Local time
9:16 PM
Reaction score
I have a 69 B5 coronet that needs a new paint job. I've been looking at other 69 B5s on the net and I don't know if it's the photos but it seems some are different colours. Wanting to know which shade is the correct one. I believe that the colour changed in 71? And the paint code in 69 is EB5?

Screenshot_20211230-041405_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20211230-041353_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20210814-143642_Chrome.jpg

Yep, "E" indicates a 69 color, if still used in 70, E indicates a carry over. New 70 colors would be an F. New for 71 would be a G.
I have a 69 runner, Bahama yellow, coded 96, in 71 it came back after an absence in 70, as EL5, meaning no change in formula from 69
The catch will be finding some one with an old formula for EB5 that can convert to modern paint.

Yep, "E" indicates a 69 color, if still used in 70, E indicates a carry over. New 70 colors would be an F. New for 71 would be a G.
I have a 69 runner, Bahama yellow, coded 96, in 71 it came back after an absence in 70, as EL5, meaning no change in formula from 69
The catch will be finding some one with an old formula for EB5 that can convert to modern paint.

Done it. PPG can do it. I've purchased it in rattle cans for touch up work. I have the formula for 69.

What a coincidence you asked this question. I just left my buddies place and my 69 RR that he just painted PPG Deltron B5.

20211229_115329.jpg 20211229_115429.jpg 20211229_115440.jpg 20211229_115403.jpg 20211229_115457.jpg

What a coincidence you asked this question. I just left my buddies place and my 69 RR that he just painted PPG Deltron B5.

View attachment 1214590 View attachment 1214592 View attachment 1214596 View attachment 1214602 View attachment 1214604

No offense, those photos don't do the color justice. It's a color that in my opinion has a wide range of tones, sometimes on the turquoise side, some times in certain light it will have shades of purple - it's an awesome color.

No offense, those photos don't do the color justice. It's a color that in my opinion has a wide range of tones, sometimes on the turquoise side, some times in certain light it will have shades of purple - it's an awesome color.
Yes, for sure. It is real vibrant under his day light. It's below zero here right now so we didn't want to open the overhead door for pics.

If it was me i would use old fashioned single stage enamel paint just like they came from the factory.

Yes, for sure. It is real vibrant under his day light. It's below zero here right now so we didn't want to open the overhead door for pics.

:eek::eek::eek: It's 55º here, if the sun were out it would probably be in the 60's.
Don't blame you. I've taken photos in overcast low light conditions and the color loses a lot of it's power. Unlike Hemi Orange which almost glows in the dark.

Wanting to know which shade is the correct one.

The one for 69. Need the formula? I have base/clear on two cars and recommend 8 coats of clear. Some people think that's too many coats but they're WRONG. It looks great and is easy to detail.

I agree, the colour on the left is what i currently have but i really love the colour on the right, it seems it has the turquoise through it and my B5 has never looked like it has had that colour through it. So it could really just depend on the person making the paint?

If you are looking at pictures of B5 cars, the one that looks the "lifeless" is correct to factory...

EB5 factory paint under bright sunshine.

Picture taken last month. Dust wiped off, not polished, and not waxed.
IMG_20211120_101933662_HDR.jpg

If you are looking at pictures of B5 cars, the one that looks the "lifeless" is correct to factory...
Not really after factory for this build, the knowledge of the difference in this colour would be good and the code for the B5 on the right, but as others have said it could be as simple as different light or different paint brands.

Not really after factory for this build, the knowledge of the difference in this colour would be good and the code for the B5 on the right, but as others have said it could be as simple as different light or different paint brands.
Despite being our family car, mine since '79, I just couldn't do factory B5. One we're stuck in water based paint world up here and I wanted solvent and a bit more pop. We still have a back door to solvent with "custom paint" and aircraft painting so I went House of Kolors HOK403 to be exact. Gray base sealer, 4 coats of color, Kleared, infusion sanded and then two more coats of Klear. Then cut and polished a year later. House of Kolors seems to change colours every time you look at it. Some I like, some I don't...
beeresto2016bodyshop 1128.JPG
beeresto2016bodyshop 1129.JPG
beeresto2016bodyshop 1130.JPG
beeresto2016bodyshop 1131.JPG
beeresto2016bodyshop 1132.JPG
beerestoration2019shakedown2 001.JPG
beerestoration2019shakedown2 002.JPG
beerestoration2019shakedown2 003.JPG
beerestoration2019shakedown2 004.JPG

Despite being our family car, mine since '79, I just couldn't do factory B5. One we're stuck in water based paint world up here and I wanted solvent and a bit more pop. We still have a back door to solvent with "custom paint" and aircraft painting so I went House of Kolors HOK403 to be exact. Gray base sealer, 4 coats of color, Kleared, infusion sanded and then two more coats of Klear. Then cut and polished a year later. House of Kolors seems to change colours every time you look at it. Some I like, some I don't...
View attachment 1214685 View attachment 1214686 View attachment 1214687 View attachment 1214688 View attachment 1214689 View attachment 1214690 View attachment 1214691 View attachment 1214692 View attachment 1214693
wow thats awesome man. colour is so good. looks like good country to. I miss snow especially now its summer in Aus. I havent seen snow since i lived in Canada. miss it a lot.

I agree, the colour on the left is what i currently have but i really love the colour on the right, it seems it has the turquoise through it and my B5 has never looked like it has had that colour through it. So it could really just depend on the person making the paint?

I've seen the formula on a PPG mixing computer and not surprised it has green in it. When the light hits it the right way, it glows turquoise. I wish I could post photos but for some reason since doing updates, nothing will load. There are photos of my cars on this site that show how different this color can be, just can't tell you exactly where they are. The. photo in #13 is slightly over exposed so I can see the richness of the color but it's washed out. It's hard to do this color justice in photos, it's stunning in real life. One of my cars is in my avatar.

I have a 69 B5 coronet that needs a new paint job. I've been looking at other 69 B5s on the net and I don't know if it's the photos but it seems some are different colours. Wanting to know which shade is the correct one. I believe that the colour changed in 71? And the paint code in 69 is EB5?

View attachment 1214563 View attachment 1214564 View attachment 1214566
The Bee with the white stripe is to light, the one with the stripe delete looks turquoise. The pic with the black rump stripe looks pretty close.

The Bee with the white stripe is to light, the one with the stripe delete looks turquoise. The pic with the black rump stripe looks pretty close.
Ive looked at torquoise ones (online only) and its seems like its somewhere in the middle of blue and torquoise. i really love the colour of that car.

Auto Transport Service
Back