• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question on Carb gasket preperation....

idrivemopar

Local time
1:02 AM
Reaction score
So I was reading an article on thermoquad rebuilding on Mopar Muscle magazine, and noted they recommend using a penetrating fluid on the main body gaskets, throttle and air horn before assembling so if you have to take it apart again, the gaskets wont stick and can be resealed. Is this common practice?

Thanks!

How old was that article? No stick gaskets are made these days. I haven't any experience with them but they are reusable. That makes dialing in your carb less hassle. They probably cost more, too.

I've regularly soaked paper gaskets in oil before installation, it softens the material and has always worked well for me.

So do you recommend then using light oil or penetrating fluid?

They may not make non stick gaskets for thermoquads. Maybe ask you question in the engine or racing threads.

I have seen people use grease on a base gasket so why not a little oil on the carb gaskets? I have never done it but can't see how it will cause a problem. I do know when put together out of the box dry onto a clean surface they tend to stick very well if they have been together for a long time.

I have also heard of people using a bit of grease on the paper gaskets as well.

Auto Transport Service
Back