• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question on Radio noise suppression ?

Pops1967GTX

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:40 PM
Reaction score
Looking for information. Did all mopar vehicles equipped with radio's have a coil radio suppressor which stops radio interference? Also placement location. ..thanks...

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    3.2 KB · Views: 390
  • RadioNoiseSuppressor.jpg
    RadioNoiseSuppressor.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 532
If you are using non-resistor spark plugs that can contribute to the noise. Might consider using resistor plugs and wires.

I am assuming you are posting due to noise....but then you may be trying to be point correct with a restoration...idk...just throwing it out there.

One of those can be found grounded to the distributer (on the negative stud) as well as the backside of the dash by/on the cluster circut board (depending on year/type).

I believe the noise suppressor shown was most effective for AM radio only. Of course, that is what most of our cars had back then.

My '69 Coronet R/T had that same original suppressor on it up until about a year ago when the lead broke off of it. Guess maybe I should see Bill about a replacement for cosmetic appearance, although I don't have a noise issue now with the radio.

Modern radios have much better noise filters built into them in the first place, and we only listen to FM now anyway so the ignition noise isn't as much of a concern.

If you recently painted the car and the hood is not grounded do to new paint the RFI radiation to the antenna is like driving without the hood on. Easy to check if there is a difference in RFI noise with the hood open or closed.

When i rebuilt the dash on my 70 RR, there was a " condenser" lookin thing on the circuit board. i beleive this to be one of the radio suppressors.( my new circuit board is upgraded to" modern" thus eliminating this thing and is now solid state). there is also one hooked to the coil.

Auto Transport Service
Back