• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question on rear seal replacement B engine. Tips & Tricks

Wookie316

Local time
11:37 AM
Reaction score
My rear seal in my B engine leaks something terrible. Much worse than any other RB or B engine I've had before. Will be doing it in the car. How well does the top half of the seal roll in? Also is it best to line the halves up with the cap or stagger? Any help, tips or tricks appreciated. Thx.

null_zpse5d8a34c.jpg

Last edited:
I am planning to use the one piece billet cap. A Viton seal and silicone side strips. I am finding mixed opinions on the billet cap from 440 Sorce as well as the continuous debate on rope vs neoprene.
Can a guy roll the top half of a neoprene seal in without loosening main caps?

I am planning to use the one piece billet cap. A Viton seal and silicone side strips. I am finding mixed opinions on the billet cap from 440 Sorce as well as the continuous debate on rope vs neoprene.
Can a guy roll the top half of a neoprene seal in without loosening main caps?

You can try but if it won't budge you may have to loosen the cap. I loosened the main cap on my 440 a bit and torqued it back down without any trouble.

I bought the Manicini kit. http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/bilrearmains.html

There is actually a few things that can leak on the rear of a big block. I pack the side seals with a good expensive silicone AND omit the side seals. Also stagger the seals a little. Make sure the OP sender is not leaking and the plugged hole net to it. Some of these blocks were porous and could leak. Also there is 2 pipe thread plugs and the cam plug on the rear,last but not least is the pan gasket. Let us know what you find.

I always use the side seals in the retainer. Plus I apply a bead of black oil resistant silicone RTV to the outside of the seal retainer where it meets the block, All the way from the oil pan rail to where the seal retainer meets the block. Never had one leak. It may be tricky to roll in the top half of the seal, but it can be done I have heard.

It appears to be dripping right at the center and not on the sides. I am 100% confident it is the rear seal because I just put the tranny back in the car before Christmas. While it was out I inspected everything at the back of the block because I had seen oil spots in the garage. Upon inspection all is nice and dry up top, sender, cam plug and back of block. Being we are under 2 feet of snow still here, a road test is a long ways away, but judging from the puddle it leaves after a short idle in the garage, it is in need of attention :( . I knew it was leaking before tranny went back in, but never realized exactly how bad the leak was till I got the tranny back in and ran it a few times in the garage. The engine if it has 300 miles on it is all. Not sure what I'll exactly find tomorrow when I pull the pan off?

Everything is apart and ready to go back together tomorrow. It already had a Mancini cap installed. I measured and compared to the 440 source cap I plan to install and as far as I can tell the seal should fit 0.010-0.015 tighter with the 440 source cap. I have the orange side strips that 440 source uses. How are you guys installing them? Sliding them in with the cap or do you push them in after the cap is in place? How liberal does a guy get with the sealant? I'm using the right stuff. Heard many good things about it. I know I only need a dab on the seal ends, but how much on the cap ends and the sides is what I'm curious about? Thx.

Auto Transport Service
Back