• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question on swapping dash pad out on 73 Satellite

satrunner92

Local time
6:20 AM
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I've been thinking about swapping out my old dash pad for a new one with the steel core from Dantes. https://dantesparts.com/i-30499598-...-road-runner-gtx-satellite-dodge-charger.html
Has anyone ever done this before? If so, do you know if it can be done without taking the windshield out? I'm asking because I have the windshield out now (its in the paint shop) and I thought it'd be a good time to do it before putting the windshield back in. If it can be done with the windshield in then I can hold off on it for a while. Thanks!

Easier? Yes. Mandatory? No.

Part of the reason why I say easier, is because the way the dash is mounted, if you pivot the dash forward (inward, towards the seat), you can access the back of the dash thru the windshield opening rather than reaching up and over (or under) the dash from inside.

It's been awhile since I've done it, but basically drop the column, pull out the bolts just below the windshield, and loosen the bolts on either side at the kick panel. You may have to pull the speedometer cable loose too. Watch for things binding, but you don't need to physically pull the whole dash out of the car to swap pads.

I've got a 74 dash out in my shop now, I can get you a pic tomorrow unless someone else beats me to it.

I did mine by pulling front seats out. Made it easier to reach in dash,plus I'm a small guy and that helped.

Hey John. Don't see you on here much.
Ya I know. Pre-planning and all that. I can get some pics.

This should give you some idea of your quest, good luck.

IMG_1351.JPG
IMG_1352.JPG
IMG_1353.JPG

Passenger side installed.
IMG_1354.JPG

Driver side, look hard the end nut is in there.
IMG_1355.JPG

This should give you some idea of your quest, good luck.

View attachment 1074849 View attachment 1074850 View attachment 1074851

Passenger side installed.
View attachment 1074852

Driver side, look hard the end nut is in there.
View attachment 1074853

Thanks for all the pics RussT Plymouths they'll definitely help. I appreciate all the quick responses from everyone. I'm going to try satilite73's method with the windshield out. Sounds like the way to go with the least amount of nightmares involved. LOL

Ya my Gold membership just expired and my box is now over filled. I need to renew it.

Last edited:
It could be done with the windshield in the car. I removed the entire assembly (frame w/pad, etc.) out of my car. Nacho has a great write-up on the steps to get it done, its here on the site somewhere. I used that write-up to help me out. The dash frame can be rotated back into the car while resting on the two bolts which are located at the kick panels on either side of the car. As someone mentioned earlier, removing the front seat(s) is a huge help, especially if you will remove the entire assembly. If you elect to remove the entire frame, having a helper makes it a lot easier. If you must remove the windshield for other reasons, then so be it, but it is not necessary to change out the pad. Since your windshield is already out for paint, definitely would be easier to do it while it is out.

IMG_1587.JPG

Last edited:
Unless you are a contortionist---pull the dash.
img_20180218_121508-jpg.573080

Auto Transport Service
Back