• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question re 64 Polara Front Turn Signals

Sixpaksteve

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:12 PM
Reaction score
Has anyone successfully separated, cleaned, and then reassembled the front Turn Signal / Running Light Assembly on their 64 Polara? This assembly is mainly 3 pieces: light bulb wiring & socket, inner aluminum housing, outer aluminum housing.

I don't see how the two aluminum pieces are connected together, and since only the amber lens and the gasket behind it are available in reproduction I thought I should ask a question or two here first before doing something more I might regret. So far I've only sprayed PB Blaster on the parts and then gently tapped from behind on the studs to try and separate the two aluminum pieces.

My reasons for asking the question and doing this: I've got significant corrosion in both light bulb sockets and it would easier to clean this up with the socket loose. And I need to polish the outer aluminum piece which again will be easier if the assembly is apart.

Thanks!

IMG_0549.JPG IMG_0551.JPG IMG_0552.JPG IMG_0553.JPG

Has anyone successfully separated, cleaned, and then reassembled the front Turn Signal / Running Light Assembly on their 64 Polara? This assembly is mainly 3 pieces: light bulb wiring & socket, inner aluminum housing, outer aluminum housing.

I don't see how the two aluminum pieces are connected together, and since only the amber lens and the gasket behind it are available in reproduction I thought I should ask a question or two here first before doing something more I might regret. So far I've only sprayed PB Blaster on the parts and then gently tapped from behind on the studs to try and separate the two aluminum pieces.

My reasons for asking the question and doing this: I've got significant corrosion in both light bulb sockets and it would easier to clean this up with the socket loose. And I need to polish the outer aluminum piece which again will be easier if the assembly is apart.

Thanks!

View attachment 940980 View attachment 940981 View attachment 940983 View attachment 940984

I don't know about taking the turn signal apart but if you need any parts I have 3 set of turn signals in storage Thanks Rod

What I do on the bulb sockets as yours is, they have surface rust on the insides of the socket.. wipe down the inside of the housing with a mild cleaner, or of the like, so you can use some masking tape,will work, just around the outside edge of the bulb housing, and shoot some (glass bead) down inside of housing, will not hurt the non grounding plastic piece, or the round positive terminals. You can buy those little round positive terminals, got mine through Ron Francis wire works, if yours need redone. When done glass beading, just use some compressed air to blow away any dirt or grit, then I take a Q-tip and coat inside of bulb socket with dielectric grease. Has always worked great for me. I will say, that if you do not get a good ground between the bulb socket and turn signal housing, you may have to have a new bulb socket installed, just like the factory did it. The guys and gals here can tell you who does this kind of work. I read something about it here, not long ago, just cannot remember who. Good luck on your project! @Dodge33

Thanks!

View attachment 940980 View attachment 940981 View attachment 940983 View attachment 940984
I will say your best bet is to find another set that has the wiring sealed to the housing that is why the internal socket is rusted... Every once in a while the actual wiring only will pop up on e-bay. Then u can just crimp a new light socket onto that housing which is nice that the 2 mounting studs did not break. Mike Ross @ B E and A has the tooling to put new wiring on but I don't know if he has the correct length wiring. He does 70-1 Challenger side markers and 70 Cuda Park Lamps...

Thank you all for your reply's to my post. You've definitely given me some thing to consider..... :thumbsup:

I took out the plastic and the wires used a demral and polishing pad.

Glad you were able to finish your task. Nobody really said if there was a way to replace or tighten the bulb socket.I have a 63 plymouth and the socket attaches the same way.I have a few housings without a socket. I would like to be able to remove and reinstall the socket.
Also has anyone designed an led set up for the front & rear housings. I had a friend that was going to do it had he passed.............:(

Glad you were able to finish your task. Nobody really said if there was a way to replace or tighten the bulb socket.I have a 63 plymouth and the socket attaches the same way.I have a few housings without a socket. I would like to be able to remove and reinstall the socket.
Also has anyone designed an led set up for the front & rear housings. I had a friend that was going to do it had he passed.............:(

Hey Hemi-it is, If you wanted to do your front park lights with a removable light socket, the best place to go is NAPA for a universal 12v light socket, just snaps in & out. They have/could get different sizes of sockets, just depends on what 12v bulb you are using. The only problem is.... they are snap in, and are not 100% waterproof, but you could maybe get some heat shrink tubing the correct size, and then shrink to the correct size, for a possible waterproof seal. You may have to use a die grinder/file to get the correct size you want/need in the factory housing. I have been a modifier of
many things in my life with cars and trucks, and been in the garage with our father learning about this kind of thing/s since I was 8-10 years old. Thanks
Dad for many things you taught/helped us with through the years! RIP Pops, as we miss you dearly! RIP 12-1-2000 We love ya! @Dodge33

^^^^Did what Dodge33 stated. I got replacement sockets from AutoZone for my 63. Pulled the wires from the OE socket to keep the plug for the harness.Splice in the harness plug to the new socket and wires. The socket almost fits in the housing so very little grinding needs done. Almost forgot to say that after removing the wires from the OE socket, I collapsed the old socket and it pulled out of the housing.Don't get much wet weather round here but you can give 'um some clear silicone on the outside of the housing to seal.

Hemi it replaced the bulbs you got in there. Put in your year, make and model

I think if you do go LED, you have to replace the turn signal flasher with one for LED's.

The three on the left and the end cut off of the wires the three on the right of the ends in the grommet it looks like three mounting brackets

19D6E146-5F3F-4947-9310-74CC7E9CDE37.jpeg 363D1749-3017-44AE-B70D-20813324B3D5.jpeg 649D0080-B4D9-46A3-B186-82B41DBBA604.jpeg 145D645C-0307-436C-9E05-EDB41B54783E.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back