• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

questions on front end stuff

barbee6043

Local time
6:52 PM
Reaction score
I've had quite a few 68-70 b bodies, but havn't worked on any for years. been playn with A bodies. car in question of 67 Bel 1, slant car.
1. loking to do a change over to v8. B or RB engine. as I recall ANY 66-70 V 8 k would be candidate?

2. my car has 10 in brakes. the v 8 cars would have come with 10 or 11 in brakes. are the lower arms the same for 10 and 11 in drums? and upper A arms too I assume? in other words , are the lower and upper arms on the slant K the same as V8 ?????

3. I drive out in the sticks and drum brakes have always been fine with me. BUT, if I look for disc setup from the Dips etc,,,, do I need the entire lower arm setup? and do I need the upper arms off the Dip too???????

4. I hate when people ask the " whats it worth" question, but...... for a 66-70 K member NO sway bar, complete with lower and upper arms etc..... what are they generally going for now days. i'm in Mo where parts prices are not very high, but then again the supply of this stuff is drying up! ha

I have searched and read lots of posts but not clear on all of it. thanks

1) yes any 66-70 v8 k member will be a candidate.

2) all arms are the same.

3) you don't need to change anything, get a disc brake kit and install it, they usually come with the spindles.

4) I've seen k members go from $100- $400 with arms.

thanks for the info. not looking to buy a disc kit, but rob it all off diplomat, you know the usual volare grand fury etc stuff....

And if you want to upgrade on the sway bar, you can us any E body K as well.....

3. I drive out in the sticks and drum brakes have always been fine with me. BUT, if I look for disc setup from the Dips etc,,,, do I need the entire lower arm setup? and do I need the upper arms off the Dip too???????

4. I hate when people ask the " whats it worth" question, but...... for a 66-70 K member NO sway bar, complete with lower and upper arms etc..... what are they generally going for now days. i'm in Mo where parts prices are not very high, but then again the supply of this stuff is drying up! ha

I have searched and read lots of posts but not clear on all of it. thanks

From the Dips? What is that?
The Upper and lower control arms are the same for all engines. The K member is 1) Slant Six, 2) V8, 3) Hemi. The torsion bars all are the same length, 41" The 70-72 used a better sway bar design if that means anything to you. After 1972, the K member design changed and will not fit the earlier cars.
Disc brakes can be found on any 1973-1989 REAR wheel drive car except C bodies and Imperials. The other exception is any A body car that is drum brake equipped. A good source still in decent numbers is the 83-89 Dodge Diplomat, Plymouth Gran Fury and the Chrysler 5th Avenue cars. ALL came with 11" front discs. The steering knuckle/spindle is a direct fit. You will need new lower ball joints for the 1967 model year though.

A V8 K member for a b body should be an easy find, less than $100. Keep your existing upper and lower control arms. The disc setups can be bought from junkyards for less than $200. Aftermarket kits can be attractive if you have the $$$.

Auto Transport Service
Back