• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Quick couple of questions

65AzBel

Local time
1:11 AM
Reaction score
I recently bought my 65 Belvedere I Sedan (well traded 2 motorcycles) but I need a little bit of help.

1. Speedo: It doesnt work because the the cable isnt hooked up. Its not hooked up because the engine and trans (318 and 904) is out of a Magnum. I know I have to buy a new speedo gear, but I can't figure out which rear it has. From what I can tell its a 10 bolt with the bolts on the front of the rear.

2. Brakes: It has drums and I'd like to convert it to discs with a boosted master cylinder. Besides Other B-bodies, what other set ups would fit.?

3. Service manuals: Where can I get one?

4. Parts sources: Anything besides Year one?

5. Tail Lights: The ones I have are very oxidated and cracked. What else could work and where can I get them besides Ebay.

I recently bought my 65 Belvedere I Sedan (well traded 2 motorcycles) but I need a little bit of help.

1. Speedo: It doesnt work because the the cable isnt hooked up. Its not hooked up because the engine and trans (318 and 904) is out of a Magnum. I know I have to buy a new speedo gear, but I can't figure out which rear it has. From what I can tell its a 10 bolt with the bolts on the front of the rear.

You probably have an 8.75 if the configuration is like a Ford 9", loads from the front. If it's missing it's tag (should be a tag under one of the nuts with the ratio stamped in it) then just rais the rear, and rotate a wheel watching the yoke. Count how many times the yoke goes round for 1 turn of the wheel

2. Brakes: It has drums and I'd like to convert it to discs with a boosted master cylinder. Besides Other B-bodies, what other set ups would fit.?

You could use 73 up A body discs. Very common swap. Or go aftermarket with Wilwoods, or SSBC, or even the scarebirds. Scarebird sells a bracket and tells you what off the shelf GM parts to use. It's an inexpensive swap

3. Service manuals: Where can I get one?

Any of the vendors should have one. Might post in the "wanted" section here

4. Parts sources: Anything besides Year one?

5. Tail Lights: The ones I have are very oxidated and cracked. What else could work and where can I get them besides Ebay.

The last two questions I'll let one of the guys who is working on a 62-65 answer. They will have a better idea for you.

Thanks Runner.

Actually I compiled a Gripe sheet that covers all that I think needs work. I'd like to get the bugs worked out before I start using it as a daily or long distance cruiser

Gripe Sheet:
1. Vacuum Lines (how many are there?)
2. Bushings (Is the polyurethane the way to go?)
3. Choke for Carb (Its got a holley with automatic but its not hooked up, is there a way to convert it to manual?)
4. Alignment (its got a lot of negative camber)
5. Gas tank filler neck gasket (looks origional and its shot)
6. Push button climate (only heat works)
7. Vent Window Hardware (it looks like a banjo bolt, I cant find it anywhere)
8. Dash Lights (Before I open it up, what size are they and how many?)

I suggest that you hook on to the 62-65 Mopar website. There's a lot of great info there. You can also join their email clubhouse, there's a link at the bottom of the site. Those guys can answer all of your questions.

Since I got an extra 273 that needs work, I started to pull it apart.

The reason it was pulled was it was burning 1.5 qts per 100 miles.

The heads are good, 1 slightly rusty intake valve.

However 3 of 8 cylinders and pistons are rusty. After the engine was pulled it was stored in a garage with the plugs out.

Since I know I have to rebuild it, should i reuse the pistons or go new?

Auto Transport Service
Back