• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Quick 'Doba

1toolguy

Local time
8:26 AM
Reaction score
So my son and I have been going to Bradenton for about two years now and each time we've fiddled and tuned trying to get the Cordoba to run as well as it could. We've had fuel problems, ignition pronblems, worn out valve springs, tractions issues, you name it but usually ran in the mid 14's to low 15's. Which wasn't too bad for a 4300 pound car (with driver) powered by a 360with a 904 and 3.55 geared 8 1/4 rear end, but we always felt here was more there.

Well, last night we finally got everything right. On our 6th run of the evening I launched and immediately felt that things were very different. The car just felt like it was flying. When all was said and done I had a 1.935 60' time (thanks to the E/T street radials) and crossed the finish line with a 13.852 at 97.12. :headbang: When I read that time slip I was giggling like a school girl.

As luck would have it, just as I got back to the front of the staging lane somebody spun at half track and brought the fun to a temporary halt. The track cooled to the point that even the slick tire guys were having traction problems. So I couldn't duplicate it and we decided to head home. At least now we know the power and traction is there, so next time we go to the track (which unfortnately won't be until the fall because of scheduling and hot/humid FL summers) we know what we need to do.

That's a good time for a small block barge!

Thats cool... Maybe by fall you'll find some other things to get a good time to!

Thanks for the comments, this summer we'll be working on a few things to make it look better and lightening the front bumper and maybe relocating the battery to make it hook better.

Once fall gets here I'm going back to teh track and to the Mopars at the Garlits Museum show(Ocala is only 90 miles away).

It's a .030 over 360 with 9.75 compression, a Comp XE 274 cam, Edelbrock air-gap intake (port matched to the iron Mopar heads, which also received a little clean up and pocket porting) and an Edelbrock 750 carb.

Just read your post now . . . seems like you and your son are having a lot of fun. On our Dobas we take the bumpers of and loosen them from the inner bumper and cut a whole lot out of the inner bumper and remove the shocks from the inner bumper and just use ordinary pcs of exhaust pipe, takes off a few pounds. Unreal how the 904 is standing up to that. Will be watching for your times in the fall.

:worthless_thread:

all that action and NO PICTURES?

My son took his camera to the track with us but it malfuntioned and we didn't get any pics. We'll be heading back to the track when the weather cools down this fall and should get some then.

Just read your post now . . . seems like you and your son are having a lot of fun. On our Dobas we take the bumpers of and loosen them from the inner bumper and cut a whole lot out of the inner bumper and remove the shocks from the inner bumper and just use ordinary pcs of exhaust pipe, takes off a few pounds. Unreal how the 904 is standing up to that. Will be watching for your times in the fall.

Yeah, we've been planning on lightening the bumper we just haven't gotten a chance to do it yet. I'm not surprised about the 904, we beefed it up with a kit from Mancini, I am surprised the 8 1/4 is holding up (I do have my eyes on a 9 1/4 though).

To me, a 13 second car is the most fun. Always has been.

I hear ya. They idle well, easy to tune, nice enuff for grand Ma to drive it, they still get reasonable gas mileage. Still a powerf enuff to law down some rubber or a smack down on a local no nothing ricer with his 600HP stickers.

Yeah, we've been planning on lightening the bumper we just haven't gotten a chance to do it yet. I'm not surprised about the 904, we beefed it up with a kit from Mancini, I am surprised the 8 1/4 is holding up (I do have my eyes on a 9 1/4 though).

About the 8 1/4, there is a father and son team that drag a 440 Doba, I think they are around Ohio somewhere, and they ran that 8 1/4 a long time before it gave up.

My son took his camera to the track with us but it malfuntioned and we didn't get any pics. We'll be heading back to the track when the weather cools down this fall and should get some then.

buy a new camera if you have to LOL dobas on the dragstrips are a great and rare thing to see !

Thats awesome....about the same combo we are gonna do to my sons Charger....gonna put it on a serious diet though.....hoping for High to mid 13's

That gave me a good laugh to start the day off. Thanks. LOL

I got a kick out of it too. It reminded me of something that happened a few years ago, some kid in a Honda pulled up next to me and wanted to race (btw- I don't street race but have been known to give a short "demonstation of acceleration", that what the cop called it, that ends before the upshift to second) I laughed at him and he said "You don't understand, I've got V-tec". I laughed again and responded "No, you don't understand, I use a v-tec motor as a starter." It got even funnier when the light turned green and he stalled the car trying to show me how great he/it was.

Auto Transport Service
Back