• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Quick question, HELP Please

padam

Local time
2:28 PM
Reaction score
I'm at 42 for Mopar Madness.
I've been running 1/8 mile so this is my first time 1/4 with my current setup.

Hitting my rev limiter at 6200 a good ways before finish line.
Tried to pedal it yesterday and poked a hole in a rocker. Got that fixed.

I think I would cross the line about 6400 without the limiter.

Would it be safer to move the rev limiter up, or bounch off it for a second or two?

Leave your limiter where its at before you hurt something.

I think rev limiters are great for protecting the engine from missing a shift like with a stick or if you have a rpm limit. Sounds like you are running stock rockers? Ran a set of the MP stamped rockers on a small block and turned 6200 with it on every pass. I don't like using a rev limiter to govern each pass. Are you crossing in 2nd gear? If so, let it shift into 3rd instead of hitting the limiter.....

Move it up to where you need. Bumping it every pass isn't ideal. I would use it more as a safety for if something breaks full power w no load.

Running a 4 speed crossing in 4th at 111 mph.
They are stock style rockers, pretty old.

I think a couple more mph would do it.

Running a 4 speed crossing in 4th at 111 mph.
They are stock style rockers, pretty old.
I had it backwards.....thought you were set up for 1/4 mile. If the rockers are stock stamped, I wouldn't feel comfortable running over 6k with them. The MP heavy duty ones will go over 6 but still don't like to go much over that with them. Know anyone with a set of taller tires that you could use for a bit?

I would agree on the limit of the Stamped steel rockers. But hitting a hard rev limiter can cause harmonics that tear things up worse then 200 rpms.

I have some tallwr tires but they rub the springs a touch.
I flipped a coin and decided to stay with the tires on it.
Turned the rev limiter to 6400,. I will still shift at about 5800.

I would agree on the limit of the Stamped steel rockers. But hitting a hard rev limiter can cause harmonics that tear things up worse then 200 rpms.
I chuckle every time I hear someone doing a burnout and are hard into the limiter.....

Was illegal to use a rev limiter as a top end limiting device in NHRA bracket racing.

I would slightly lift at the end and keep it at 6100.

I would do this to run sportsman bracket and could run predictable 13.70 to 13.73 all day. Would watch tack when rpm dropped on 2-3 shift and just keep the rpm there To finish line. Dropped off a second of ET, was fun.

I have some tallwr tires but they run the springs a touch.
I flipped a coin and decided to stay with the tires on it.
Turned the rev limiter to 6400,. I will still shift at about 5800.
Is the car still pulling good above 5800? If so, shift at 6. It may then cross at 6.

We were set up for the 1/4. Racing 1/8 was awkward shifting in drive just before the stripe so brother decided to leave in second. We were running 6.40s at 101. Slowed a little leaving it in second and I heard the rev limiter across the stripe. My brother was driving I was watching. We were shifting at 6200. Rev limiter was 8k. Underestimated how close we were to the end ...Oops. Only time we ever heard the limiter on the top. Its not what you want to hear going through the traps. Very distracting.

Last edited:
What cam?
I have 2 stamped rocker motors that shift reliably at 6500. All day long no concerns

Run was good, but .5 mph slower than yesterday.
12.126 110.81
Best yesterday was
12.143 110.81
Best mph was 111.39
Humid as hell.
I think the rpm was over 62, but not on limiter.
I think I will be ok like this for today, couple more runs.

IMG_20220724_120641862.jpg

Oddly enough, I tried a run yesterday shifting at 5200, stilled crossed the finish line the same.

Yes 4.56 with 28" tires.
I ran 2 different 440s similar set up, same gears tires, no issue running those times.
Cast cranks and pistons. And auto, so bit more rpm likely.

12.10s in a stick car is nothing to be ashamed of :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Auto Transport Service
Back