• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Quick question...Line lock, Drag Radials w/Tread voids, manual trans, what gear to do burnout in?

biomedtechguy

Accelerati Rapidus Maximus
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:18 PM
Reaction score
My thoughts are to either completely avoid the water, or at most back into the edge of it. That way I don't get water trapped in the tread voids or sling water up into the wheelwells. Pull forward a foot or so, set the line lock, get with it heating and cleaning the tires in the burnout, and then release the line lock and continue spinning 'em up approaching the line?
The other question is: What gear to do the burnout in?
The GTO is "torquey" and has 275/40/17s with a 3.80 ring and pinion.
The Roadrunner has wider 315/35/17s (for now) and a 4.10 ring and pinion, and also has good torque down low.
BOTH have rev limiters, so overreving is not a concern.
BOTH are 3x2 carb induction, and it's not hard to know when the outboard carbs are going to open.
Thanks.

I ran drag radials years ago. Straight through the water box and never had an issue. I believe the bigger issue you face is your desire for low profile tires. Low profile 35 & 40 series tires are great for cornering. Not so much when trying to get a car to “leave”. When trying to get a tire to stick in a straight line, sidewall height is your friend. Many people think width is all that matters. Truth is: sidewall and overall tire height are of bigger consequence in a straight line than width is.
If you fry the tires, my thought is it will have nothing to do with the water box.

Last edited:
the bigger issue is you face is your desire for low profile tires.
(for now)
I appreciate the reply, but that isn't what I was asking about. One of the reasons why I put (for now) in my post.
I did see where you said you roll through the water, but I am not comfortable with that technique, and I really want to know what gear, 1st or 2nd, most manual transmission people suggest.
EDIT: I've said this before, the 315/35/17s were (are) the very first size tires I guessed at, that would fit what was my new 9" x 17" 5" backspacing Year One aluminum Rallye wheels. I'm going to try them out with the line lock and the new Calvert split mono leaf springs, sliders, and Smith Racecraft Assassin traction bars before I jump into my next set of tires, which are going to be 345/40/17s, and I may also get a pair of M/T ET Street bias ply tires for the track.

Last edited:
If we are talking about drag radials only, no need to drive around the box, drive through, or around if you want, if your currently 4 speed (can't remember) then 2nd gear, with a 5 possibly 3rd?. Only thing is a stick car and d/radials are not a good mix, if you spin recovery is hard and its all over, but you may get away with it with your tamer.

Last edited:
I'm surprised that someone would even suggest 3rd gear for a burnout. Whether 4 or 5 speed, that's way too tall a gear to start out, right?

3rd gear is pushing things for a 4 speed even with 4.10's, depends if you don't mind being hard on the clutch, but if 5 speed aren't the ratio's that much different?. Some like me go into a burnout hard, but I was 727, 4.88's and 14x32's, I just went on it and shifted to 3rd where it settled@5000, some keep the revs low and constant and take longer to get the desired smoke which perhaps is the way when you only got 1 gear to do it with, thats how I did it with the 340 stick car I had 2nd gear, using the limiter is not good for the motor in a burnout.

Last edited:
some keep the revs low and constant and take longer to get the desired smoke which perhaps is the way when you only got 1 gear to do it with, thats how I did it with the 340 stick car I had 2nd gear
That makes sense to me.
hitting or going near the limiter is not good for the motor in a burnout.
I'm not arguing with you, but it seems like I've heard a number of cars do it, BUT, to be clear, I only mentioned the rev limiter to add that I have "protection" against overreving, NOT that I was going to ride the limiter.

Maybe I’m way off here, but why not just buy some steel 15” wheels and run some real racing slicks on them when you hit the track a few times a year?

That makes sense to me.

I'm not arguing with you, but it seems like I've heard a number of cars do it, BUT, to be clear, I only mentioned the rev limiter to add that I have "protection" against overreving, NOT that I was going to ride the limiter.

No worries, its not arguing Bio, its all just conversation, I never used a limiter even when I turned 7400rpm@the traps on a 9 sec run with those 440-6pk rods/pistons (2lbs weight per hole), got me a bit worried though:eek:

Burnouts are about wheel speed. Most guys I know running drag cars with a stick use 3rd gear. I know in my racecar I use high gear only.
Doug

Burnouts are about wheel speed. Most guys I know running drag cars with a stick use 3rd gear. I know in my racecar I use high gear only.
Doug
Wow...
Ya see!! This is why I ask what may seem to be "newbie" questions!
I never would have guessed initiating a burnout in 3rd gear!!
Ok, well I'll say I'm good for trying at least 2nd gear now to get a feel for it, and maybe 3rd gear in my Roadrunner.
PLEASE, more replies!!
I have done auto trans "power brake" burnouts more times (and places) than I care to admit.

Steve, should have mentioned this last time we talked, Lemon is right on about taller side wall at the track. My Satellite has street tires, street drag radials for the street, slicks for the drag strip. Also, a slow roll through the water will not throw water onto the wheel wells, go slow. I'd start in 3rd with the manual, don't stay in too long, 4000 rpm for a count of 2 is plenty. I start in high with my 727 & 4.10 w/28.5 tires. Just say'in. Many thousand rolls through the water box.

a slow roll through the water will not throw water onto the wheel wells
That makes sense. I still may back in to keep the front tires dry.
As far as the "pile on" with the tires:poke:
They were a GUESS, 2 years ago, when I bought the new wheels! :poke:
They have been GREAT on the street, WAY better than Nitto 555R drag radials, the Nittos having put me in the grass, off the highway, when I had them on my Conquest TSi back in 2008. A little rain and WHAM off the road I went.
The Toyo Proxes TQ drag radials looked and have been much safer as my regular tires.
I've already spec'd out the M/T ET Street bias ply tires in a 17" diameter and they should fit the wheelwells, and definitely fit the aluminum Rallye wheels. I'm also going to try the Toyo Proxes TQ drag radials in a 345/40/17 and see what that looks like.
In the meantime, the 315/35/17s have a good bit of life in the tread, and I'm adding: new Calvert split mono leaf springs, sliders, and Smith Racecraft Assassin traction bars, along with using the line lock for the FIRST time, so I want to at least see how the tires I have perform with ALL of those traction enhancements before I jump to another tire. I still have a HitMaster launch control system and Hydramax hydraulic throwout bearing to add to the launch equation too.
Once the stroker motor goes in, I'll definitely need more grab!

If you can do 3rd gear that would be preferred to get the wheel speed up. Otherwise its 2nd gear and spin at high RPM till you get plenty of smoke/heat in the tires. Drag radials need to get sticky otherwise you will just smoke'em and get some real sweet 2.5 second 60ft times.:cursin:
I also go around the water box and back into the water. The front tires will drag way to much water into your path and screw everything up if you drive straight through with wide tires on the front. I have 285/40r17's on the front of my car that I bring to the track.

once the 540 goes in it'll be 4th gear burnouts:)

If you can do 3rd gear that would be preferred to get the wheel speed up.
Wow! So many 3rd gear burnout recommendations! I guess that will be what I do!
What about the clutch action? Is this a rev up to ???? and dump the clutch? I'm wondering, because otherwise I fear the embarrassing stall in the water box:wetting:
I also go around the water box and back into the water. The front tires will drag way to much water into your path and screw everything up if you drive straight through with wide tires on the front.
That makes sense! My front tires aren't that wide, but they aren't skinnies either.
Watch it! The guys are going to :pPOUNCE:rolleyes: on you for racing with "front tires that are too wide"...:poke::D
once the 540 goes in it'll be 4th gear burnouts:)
:thumbsup: :bananadance::thankyou:

Yep, 3rd gear burnout for me in my stick cars. High gear with my auto cars.

Auto Transport Service
Back