• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Quiet(er) Dual Electric Fans

That’s not nearly enough cfm movement. You need to be 3500-5k of cfm. And your not going to find quiet fans in that range cause they’re moving a **** load of air.

I want to say the fans I currently have are about the same on a 3 core aluminum radiator. I've driven it in traffic and it's never gone over 200°. While in motion they usually stay off until I hit 180°. This is all street of course, usually at night when there's less traffic.

I've heard fan noise on any number of present day vehicles, either waiting at a stoplight or parked somewhere... Trying to see what I can find as I may be installing a vacuum canister and want to keep the noise lvl (motor aside) at a minimum if possible.

I have electric fans on both my cars. They have the curved S shape blade and they are quieter than a straight blade fan in my opinion. I have 16 inch single fans rated at 2200 cfm and have no temperature control problems in traffic. Standard brass/copper radiators.
You can hear the hum from the fans at a traffic light but it is not bad. Overheating would worry me a lot more.

I have electric fans on both my cars. They have the curved S shape blade and they are quieter than a straight blade fan in my opinion. I have 16 inch single fans rated at 2200 cfm and have no temperature control problems in traffic. Standard brass/copper radiators.
You can hear the hum from the fans at a traffic light but it is not bad. Overheating would worry me a lot more.

Both fans rated at 2200 cfm total, correct?

I'm pretty sure my current fans are 2500 and I've had no overheating issues while sitting in traffic, L.A. commuter driving home from work traffic. I'm also choosy about when and where I drive my car...when I drive to work is is what it is.

I think I'll just have to try it and see how it works out, thanks for the input.

Last edited:
Sorry for the confusion the way I wrote the reply.
Each car has a single 16 inch fan rated at 2200 on each car . The 2200 cfm eats the airflow requirement and the summer temperatures are pretty hot here.

Single fan @ 2200 vs. Dual fans @ 2500. It gets hot here too in So. Cal. Triple digits, but I also won't take it out in traffic on a hot day.

With that current setup I've had no overheating issues.

The curved, S shaped blades are the quietest . Think of modern submarine propeller. Straight blades like older helicopters, very noisy.
Since the entire purpose of the fan is to move air through the radiator, the fan should cover as much of the radiator core as possible. With that in mind, you should get as large of a fan as will fit on your radiator while still fitting under the hood. You will need to know how much clearance you have under the hood for the fan and any mounting supplies needed. It’s best to measure the area with the existing fan and shroud removed. This will tell you exactly what you have to work with.

Dual Radiator Fans or a Single Fan?
Usually a single fan is all you need; however, if you have added a much larger engine to your vehicle (and hopefully upgraded the radiator to compensate!) then you may want dual fans to maximize the amount of airflow. If you’re not having a problem with overheating, then stick with a single fan. If you have made significant upgrades to the engine or have heat problems, then dual fans will help provide the additional airflow needed.

What’s the Difference between Straight Fan Blades and “S” Shaped Fan Blades?
The fan blades come down to a difference in noise versus airflow. Straight blades maximize airflow but are also noisy. “S” shaped blades are quiet but don’t move as much air as the straight blade. Your choice here will come down to whether you want a quieter ride or need the most airflow. If overheating is already an issue, go with straight blades, otherwise go with whichever you prefer. Regardless of which blades you use, make sure the manufacturer balances the blades. If the blades aren’t balanced, it will cause additional stress and wear on the motor shortening its lifespan.
A pull fan sits behind the radiator between it and the engine. It causes air to be pulled through the radiator and has less impact on airflow at high speeds than a push fan does. Pull fans will provide more cooling than push fans will. The biggest determining factor on whether to use a pull fan or a push fan is the amount of room under the hood. When possible, use a pull fan, but if space limitations forbid this, then you will have to use a push fan

Auto Transport Service
Back