• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

R/B rebuild, cost of a rebore.

khryslerkid

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:30 PM
Reaction score
Just tore down a 413 I've been sitting on for awhile. Found a couple of cracked compression rings, the worst cylinder is worn about .020. Might have to go .030 on the rebore. I was wondering what the going cost is these days...

Around 100.00 Have you found pistons yet? I think they are getting hard to find. Good luck on your build.

I charge $20/hole, so $160 for a V8. I also charge $40 to clean and strip the block as I won't machine dirty parts.

What is a ballpark for truing the decks and line honing the mains?

They've been in business for 50+ years, they don't charge an arm and a leg, and they do excellent work... Therefor people recommend them to others and they get a lot of business. Might have something to do with why they're still running ;)

Great thread so far .. I'll expand on xr7coug's questions. What's reasonable / going rate for align bore and hone or just align hone the crank and cam journals and getting them indexed to each other?

69 Bee`s prices for machine work are very reasonable. Because his prices may be lower than machine shops in some one else`s area does not mean he is in jeopardy of going out of business. The cost of living may just be a lot lower in his area than yours. His machining techniques may just be perfected and faster than some other shop which lowers is labor cost. Or he may have had the foresight 3 decades ago to buy 500 dollars worth of cutting bits for his boring bar that will last him a life time and now he does not have to buy the same bit which now cost quadruple what they did 3 decades ago. Example, in 1975 I bought 500 Delco Remey brass brushes for GM starters because the prices kept creeping up. Day before yesterday I used a set of 4 to rebuild a starter off a 79 GMC truck. I have 8 left out of the 500. I would hate to know what these same tip quality USA made Delco Remey brushes would cost me today. But you should have seen the smile on my customers face when I explained why his bill was so low (half the cost of a rebuilt starter from the local parts store), and I made great money for my time and parts. If a person is going to be in business doing the same thing for the rest of his life and he is smart enough to be in business in the first place; you can bet your bottom dollar he is also smart enough to invest big in items that are not affected by shelf life problems. Cutting bits for boring bars as long as they stay oiled and away from moisture do not have a shelf life expiration. But, you can bet your bottom dollar they have cost that will continue raise each and every year. It`s all about foresight good management, good customer relations and a passion for the job you are doing. Jmtc

i was thinking the same thing about the area / cost of living ky509 .. but you went way deeper. Great points

Thanks for the imfo! I have been out of the loop for awhile and had no idea what these shops are getting these days. There is only one reputable shop that I know of and one guy I don't know too much about. The guy is very trustworthy, just didn't know where to start on prices. The cost of the oversized pistons will be the kicker on this rebuild but I have a "wild hair" about a period correct 413 for this car.
Feel free to keep this thread running with other questions and comments! Thanks again!

Auto Transport Service
Back