• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

R&R P/S Pump and Hoses Today? I Don't Think So!

Dibbons

Local time
7:58 AM
Reaction score
Always a problem(s). We are working on a 1972 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus (318 V-8, 904 Torqueflite, P/S, P/B, no A/C). The p/s pump I purchased at Autozone has the correct bracket holes but the reservoir is fatter and the front mounting bracket bumps into the corner of the reservoir. Looks like butchering the bracket or finding another pump with the same smaller reservoir as factory installed.

Then, the pressure hose fitting (from Summit) to the pump did not want to thread on by hand. At first, I dreaded the thought the thread size was completely wrong, but then I finally got it started but after only about half a turn it wanted to stop, as if it were already tight. I backed it off and compared it to the factory hose end. You can see the new "reproduction" end does not even have the threads started at the end of the fitting (there is a small gap with no thread!). I know it may look as if I crossed threaded it, but I fractured my wrist in a motorcycle mishap and I don't have the strength in my hand to do that. If you look at the opposite end of the repro fitting, you can also see the same thing on that end-no threads either.

Thinking about calling Dante and asking him for photos of merchandise he sells, probably the same source crap but you never know. First foto shows the interference area between the bracket and the remanufactured p/s pump (where the tip of the screwdriver is). The second and third fotos show the factory pump and a very small clearance gap between the bracket and the reservoir. Last foto shows the factory pressure hose fitting on the left, and the repro on the right.

p:s pump 1.JPG p:s pump 2.JPG p:s pump 3.JPG p:s pump 4.JPG

Last edited:
If that's in the back, you can change out the fitting/ swap with your old one.

They made both std and metric fittings and hose ends.

They made both std and metric fittings and hose ends.

Are you saying you suspect the repro hose is metric or something? I was just thinking it was a poorly manufactured copy of the original size fitting.

looks larger in the photo.

I ran into that problem with my 1980 truck.

Steering gear locked up and broke (!)

Found a late 80's gear but the fitting was wrong.

Went back and got the hose, but then it didn't fit in the pump.

Went back and got the fitting out of the pump.

Whew.

Three trips.

With dial calipers they both measure 1.55 centimeters (outside thread diameter) which is approximately 5/8".

As the norm, the copy hardly even resembles the original.

Do you have the original pump yet? Just swap reservoirs if you do.
Mike

The reservoirs do come off but it's hit or miss bending or twisting them during the process which could cause them to not seal with that really big O ring.

I just ordered an NOS P/S pressure hose. My road trips amount to 3,000 miles or more, so I am not comfortable using the repro hose with very little thread depth. My bro offered to pay half, so not so bad (although shipping is a killer).

Auto Transport Service
Back