• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

R/T question ????

pearljam724

Local time
4:56 AM
Reaction score
With Coronet cars, particularly 1969. What parts made a Coronet a genuine R/T car ? Besides the badges and identification on the fender. Did the R/T always have a bigger motor than a 318/ bucket seats/ etc ?

With Coronet cars, particularly 1969. What parts made a Coronet a genuine R/T car ? Besides the badges and identification on the fender. Did the R/T always have a bigger motor than a 318/ bucket seats/ etc ?
I believe, like its GTX cousin, they had a minimum 440 engine, deluxe interior (woodgrain, buckets etc.) although I believe the Coronet R/T could also be had with the standard, sweep instrument cluster.

The r/t came standard with the 440cu.in. If you wanted a smaller engine you could order the 426 hemi.

I believe, like its GTX cousin, they had a minimum 440 engine, deluxe interior (woodgrain, buckets etc.) although I believe the Coronet R/T could also be had with the standard, sweep instrument cluster.
Yes but it was a 150 mph speedo.

My Coronet R/T has 440 cid engine, and bucket seats, 150 MPH sweep instrument gauge, automatic, vinyl top, chrome wheel molding, chrome sill plate, power steering, power brakes, hardtop coupe and three light rail panel. My Super Bee has a 383 cid engine, bench seat, raylle gauge, four speed manual, manual steering and is a post coupe. The R/T the top trim level for the Coronet (1969) and came standard with the 440 or the 426 Hemi as an option. The Super Bee was a stripped down model of the Coronet. 1969 1/2 Super Bee models (A12) are a different story.

Last edited:
The '69 Coronet SuperBee, 1 Step down, if you want to call it that,
IMG_8135.JPG
IMG_8131.JPG
IMG_8138.JPG
IMG_8143.JPG
100_1554.JPG
was available with the 383, 440/6, and the "HEMI", the last 2 being the most desirable ! I believe the R/T's were 440's and Hemi's. I let my 383 go, #'s Matching, Q5, 4-spd, Blue Collar Muscle, and it's a mistake I'll live with FOREVER. There was a tear in my eye, when the New Owner pulled away with the U-Haul...

Last edited:
The 1969 Coronet Super Bee was not available with a 440. Only the 440 6 pack (A12) package in 1969 1/2 models. The 440 was set aside for the R/T models only.

The VIN would be different too, S vs M or L along with engine character.

Interiors of my R/T and Super Bee.

C7F5A20E-C110-4AE4-BA4C-3697A1AD3846.jpeg A95F97D3-2DB9-4B9D-A09B-37AD7F8B5C67.jpeg

Super Bee is on top. R/T is on the bottom.

Last edited:
Exterior of the R/T. I do not have any photos of the Super Bee’s exterior on my iPhone. The Super Bee (lower trim level) was comparable to the Plymouth Road Runner and the R/T (highest trim level) was comparable to the Plymouth GTX.

E718FAB3-E280-44EF-BD0F-58BFCDEAFDE6.jpeg 7B76F669-B068-4DFE-AF27-44751BCB3385.jpeg

A simple Google search would net you all that information, of course - but first things first:
Are you looking to clone an R/T or to verify one?
If to verify, what is the VIN?

All of the Coronet R/Ts from 1967 through 1970 will be either a hardtop or a convertible. No sedans were built.

A simple Google search would net you all that information, of course - but first things first:
Are you looking to clone an R/T or to verify one?
If to verify, what is the VIN?

I own an R/T clone. My car is a Coronet 500 convertible that originally had a 318. Now has a rebuilt 360. I was just wondering, that’s all. Did all of the 69 model cars have torsion bars ? Including the 500’s, sedans, etc ? I figured, the R/T’s had bigger motors and high end trim. But, didn’t know if that included 383’s, suspension, brake upgrades or not ? Or if some R/T’s had smaller motors or not.

I would like to add a question regarding the interior trim. Did the woodgrain dash only come with the non-rallye cluster or was it also available with the rallye cluster?

I own an R/T clone. My car is a Coronet 500 convertible that originally had a 318. Now has a rebuilt 360. I was just wondering, that’s all. Did all of the 69 model cars have torsion bars ? Including the 500’s, sedans, etc ? I figured, the R/T’s had bigger motors and high end trim. But, didn’t know if that included 383’s, suspension, brake upgrades or not ? Or if some R/T’s had smaller motors or not.
Ah, I see.
First off, I'd strongly urge you not to plaster R/T badges all over the car. The whole "clone" thing has been done to death and it's not fooling anyone anymore anyways.
Not a darn thing wrong with having a Coronet 500 convertible! They're rare as heck in their own right and very desirable.
Ok, on to the questions:
1. Again, I strongly urge you to do your own homework on this and a Google search is your best bet.
There is literally a bazillion sources of information out there on what the differences were in R/T's and other models.
Factory literature (sales brochures, for example). Websites like allpar.com. Documentation is out there free of charge for the looking!
2. All Mopars of the era (not just '69 models) had torsion bar suspension, going back to the 50's.
A more specific question would have been "does a 318 car have different torsion bars than a 440 car?"
The answer is "yes". Torsion bars are the front springs for a Mopar, so as you'd imagine, heavier springs are needed for a big block than for
a small block.
3. As far as "high end trim" goes, your 500 was pretty much top of the line for trim and on a par with the R/T's, which were based on similar trim lines.
There are some differences in trim, but not many.
4. The standard engine in a '69 Coronet R/T was the 440 Magnum; the only optional engine was the 426 Hemi.
Yes, suspensions and brakes were all heavier duty on the R/T.

You're going to wear yourself out asking bazillions of questions here.
Do your homework. Research online as much as you can utilizing searches.
Understand that your car is desirable as it was built and will be less desirable as a clone.
Above all, have fun with it!

The deck lid would also be different for the R/T and 500 compared to the Super Bee, 440 and other lower models. Same shape and size with the exception of the mounting holes for the emblems on the back lip. The R/T and 500 have D-O-D-G-E letters in the middle while the others are bare. All, as far as I know, have emblems on passenger side edge marking their model such as R/T or the little cute Super Bee guy. Little differences here and there, but the main one is the engine.

The library at Hamtramck Historical contains items like the data books that will show the differences between the models and options for each models.
https://www.hamtramck-historical.com/library-2.shtml

Auto Transport Service
Back