• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

R u from a sundown town ?

Aarons Air

Local time
1:36 PM
Reaction score
I grew up in Miamisburg Ohio during the 60-70's era. I attended public schools which at the time were 100 % white. I can remember being shocked by seeing the 1st black bag boy employed by the local Kroger grocery store. The posted sundown signs were before my time. But i remember my older brother inlaw talking about where they were posted on a bridge & city limits.
Does anyone have a pic of one ? Or remember the wording of the ones in your town ?

ApartheidSignEnglishAfrikaans.jpg

Guess I lived a sheltered life. I'm 53 and this is the first time I've heard of the term.

things were a whole lot different back in the 50`s

As a very young kid, i would spend a couple of weeks during the summer with my grand parents in a very small central texas town called Hearne . It used to be a pretty big railroad switching town made up of 80% black, 20% white +/-.
I can remember that my grandad at the time worked for Texas A&M ag departmen outside of College Station. During the summers i would go to work with him at the experimentation farm, we would open irrigation canals, work the fields ect. When we would come in we would always stop a a little cafe downtown for a cup of coffee for him and a rootbeer float for me. It had a screen back door and a curbside main door that you would see in a Rockwell painting. We always parked in the back because of a big pecan tree provided a lot of shade, everyone else parked out front.Anyway I remember clear as day posted on the screen door that said "colored entrace only"...never gave it much thought then, no one ever said anything to us, not that they would as my grandad was a pretty popular guy in the county....

Last edited:
Re-run of Top Gun on TV tonight....Maverick's replacement partner after Goose dies is called......Sun Down. :D

sundown-what-are-you-doing-mav.jpg

Born and raised in the deep south in the 60's.
Been there, lived that.

First time hearing about it as well, but found out a couple towns around me were at one point. If they still are, is yet unknown

it is amazing what is out there and
that a lot don't know about there is most likely a lot we don't know man do I remember the chain gangs in the south ,riding in the back of the bus drinking fountains for whites and the ones for blacks

Auto Transport Service
Back