• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

R u from a sundown town ?

whites%20only_WEB.jpg

Guess I lived a sheltered life. I'm 53 and this is the first time I've heard of the term.
Me too. 65, and never heard of it before.
But maybe growing up in Connecticut in the 50's and 60's, might have something to do with it.

didnt you guys have witch burnings up there :rofl:

Nobody that I knew discriminated against black people. I feel zero guilt about it.

racism affects everyone at some time in there life

Just check police traffic stop blotter in the paper. Black guy I worked with said "I don't go to your town, they must have a law against driving while black". An exaggeration but not totally unfounded.

When I hired on at ARMCO Steel in the early 70's, there were signs up that said white only or colored only for the rest rooms and drinking fountains. They were very old and hard to read (like most signs in a steel mill) but they were still there. Of course, no one paid much attention to them.....

Just wondering if the crime rate was lower in these "sundown towns". :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I'm 61, and grew up in Maryland. Never saw, or heard of this. We did have black areas. One was the Grove, and the other was called Bacon town. I never saw any hispanic people until the 90s. One day they just appeared. Would show up at the grocery store drunk at 10 am. They lived in apartments I couldn't afford. They took all the shopping carts home with them, and would shove them in the ditch. The store had to send an employee out in a pickup to collect the carts for the paying customers. That's when I decided it's time to move.

I'm 61, and grew up in Maryland. Never saw, or heard of this. We did have black areas. One was the Grove, and the other was called Bacon town. I never saw any hispanic people until the 90s. One day they just appeared. Would show up at the grocery store drunk at 10 am. They lived in apartments I couldn't afford. They took all the shopping carts home with them, and would shove them in the ditch. The store had to send an employee out in a pickup to collect the carts for the paying customers. That's when I decided it's time to move.
That sound about right. I used to be a commercial tin knocker. They were notorious for using the porta johns by standing on the tank with muddy boots & squating over the seat. And no, they didn't have good aim.

Those were the "new arrivals". Mexicans that were born here or have lived here for awhile are just as sanitary as any other American.
I'll add this though: For all of the attempts by the government to integrate the Black people into what was traditionally White jobs, schools, area codes, you should see what some choose to do on their own. Its the same with Latinos in construction...We welcome all to hang out together but they seem to prefer to stay to themselves. 10 guys on the job (Construction site) about half Mexican, half "other"....The Mexicans choose to sit together and off to the side of us at lunchtime.
Same thing happened in school....The Black kids grouped together at lunchtime. I can't blame them though...If I were only one of 10 White guys in a school of 1500, I'd hang out with who I identify with.

Wow! I haven’t heard that sundown song since I don’t know when. I don’t see a link to this ugly subject though.

Auto Transport Service
Back