• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

R134a refrigerant... damn new EPA self sealing cans!

Big Bad Dad

Local time
4:13 PM
Reaction score
Maybe not B Body related, but I just spent a bunch of time trying to charge the AC in my Jeep Cherokee. Just replaced the whole system. Compressor, lines, condensor, evaporator, blower motor, etc. The whole works! Even bought a vacuum pump to make sure everything was dry and Ok. Had a few cans of R134a in the garage, so went to charge the system. I had a terrible time trying to get the refrigerant to even go into the gauges. Lost some while checking for the problem. Finally figured out that the two cans had a newer style EPA self sealing system around where my tool made the puncture... CRAP! Anyway, it took forever, and never did get enough ref into the system. I had a third can without that EPA valve, and it went in with no problem! So, I need a bit more. This EPA valve caused me more problems. and let more ref escape, than ever had with the old regular cans... I guess this is another twist on the damn EPA gas cans that cause so much more spillage than the old cans.... GRRRR.....

Just like new gas cans. You have to love the Government for fixing a non problem.

I just bought two 30 lb cylinders... No self sealing, $105 for 30 lbs... Them little cans are a rip off...

They make an adapter to work with the old hoses, still sucks tho

Yea just went through that last night with a few new cans last night.

Just be careful and look to see where it’s made if it’s China it could be propane or something else in that can! They don’t care!

I use those cans all the time with no issues...just need that blue adapter underneath the brass piercer and it'll flow just fine...

I use those cans all the time with no issues...just need that blue adapter underneath the brass piercer and it'll flow just fine...
Me either till last night. Took me too long to figure out the damn cans were defective

Had my card for 30+yrs. Don't even know where it's at anymore. Read the other day that "Freon 3.0(?) is changing again in next couple years. Could Freon 4.0 be any climate- friendly? Nah, just more expensive!

What the hell is a freon card?
Certification of qualification to reclaim and use Refrigerant according to damn EPA rules. Keeps us regular people from being able to purchase Freon. Got to be licensed. Usually limited to tradesmen and HVAC contractors. I used to work in the HVAC trade, but got out before the requirement was mandated, so never got the card....

Certification of qualification to reclaim and use Refrigerant according to damn EPA rules. Keeps us regular people from being able to purchase Freon. Got to be licensed. Usually limited to tradesmen and HVAC contractors. I used to work in the HVAC trade, but got out before the requirement was mandated, so never got the card....
Agree, at my company needed at least guy per shift to be certified. Suck it out and reuse after being cleaned.

You know what I actually have one! Been so long I forgot, I've never had to show it to anyone before! One of those job requirements years ago and got tucked away in the wallet...

I can still buy individual cans of R134 at my local walmart grocery store with no card or license needed. I did read that about a year or so ago that EPA was in the process of trying do to R134 what they did to the good ol' R12 freon, because according to the EPA everything harms the environment or causes cancer it seems.

R134 hit new vehicles in 1993... Dupont's patent was good for twenty years... 2013.... R134 was found to be "Ozone Depleting" around 2012 so it needed to be phased out.... R1234 came out around 2015... When do you think it will be found environmentally unsound???? As I've said many times, it's all about being green, the green movement... Moving from yours & my bank account into the bank account of someone who's learned to play the game...

I’ve got my card for ac work, I do believe you can just buy the cans over the counter and possibility of limited quantities.. I keep a couple extra pigs of 134 A on hand .

Auto Transport Service
Back