• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Race weekend, the ugly, the heat, the good

dvw

Local time
12:36 PM
Reaction score
Went for test on Friday. Hit a freeway closure took 3 1/2 hours for a 2 1/2 hour drive. As expected its HOT. Unload and cant get the weather station to function. Find the issue and go to tech. Oops, forgot to get a tech card at the gate. 3/4 mile each way and I'm set for tech. Car shakes the tires hard in the burnout????? Uhhm? Stage .015 R/T and then BIG shake. abort pass. Back in the pits I discover that the tire that went flat last week folded the tube up inside the tire. Attempting to repair, tube is torn. Now the car cant move to get it into the trailer. Overnight outside it sets. 2:00 am I'm awakened by violent shaking inside my pick-up truck pop-up camper. 55 gallon trash drums are blowing around. Radar looks nasty on the phone.,30 minute storm. I survive, so does the car. Up at 6:00 am I find a tire store that opens at 7:30. Though they skeptical of working with slicks the tubes are remove and standard valve stems installed. Back to the track dry the water off and what I can see inside the car. Go up for the 1st qualifier. .001 R/T but the car makes a violent right turn. Abort pass #2. talk to the track starter, water came out of the rocker area. Ok pass #3. see below, .013 R/T car spins slightly but makes a decent pass considering the weather and track temp. Worst water grains I've ever seen. We qualify on R/T I snag #2 position. For the 1st rd my opponent is the guy I took out in the final during our last GLSSA event. He is on kill trying to get me back. But just a little to much. -.002 Red with a 11.15 on a 11.14. I'm ready for rd #2. It's getting darker, radar looks bad. They call it off. So the positives for all my troubles were this weekend; It wasn't next week at Monster Mopar. Another round win puts me at the points lead. Lights were good. Car will run 9.25 in real poor weather. All in all had a great time.
Doug
131 heat run.JPG

Badass Doug, the struggle makes the win 10x better, good luck next week !

Auto Transport Service
Back