• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

rack and pinion steering

Geri

Deceased, But not forgotton
Local time
1:15 AM
Reaction score
when the manual steering is replaced with rack and pinion in front of the spindles, is it standard to remove the lower steering arms and switch them side for side?

Don't do this. If you do, try to never drive this car anywhere near any other person.

Think so. There are problems putting rack&pinion on, bump steer for one. Are you doing a kit?

Don't do this. If you do, try to never drive this car anywhere near any other person.
I have changed the car to coil overs with no torsion bars, I used Hemi Denny kit. I thought the same as you just needed to hear it from another. I've seen some nasty un-engineered steering jobs that were dangerous-even when parked. I put rack and pinion on my race willys in the 70,s accounted for Ackerman influence and it was great. now just considering the rack and pinion. thank you.

I have changed the car to coil overs with no torsion bars, I used Hemi Denny kit. I thought the same as you just needed to hear it from another. I've seen some nasty un-engineered steering jobs that were dangerous-even when parked. I put rack and pinion on my race willys in the 70,s accounted for Ackerman influence and it was great. now just considering the rack and pinion. thank you.
I know its been done with success, just wondering if any here have done it. bump steer not an issue Ackerman response is the issue

I'd really like to know why you said this, there are a bazillion cars out there with rack and pinion steering.

Think so. There are problems putting rack&pinion on, bump steer for one. Are you doing a kit?
I'm confused about the bump steer issue, tell me what's on your mind on this please. bump steer is usually an issue with an axle with a drag link that is not parallel with the ground, I didn't realize it could be an issue with independent suspension.

I was purposely vague because memory isn't precise. Read an article about R&P in the 80's doing a home brew R&P. He was having problems with bump steer, have forgotten what he said he was doing to fix it. Best I can remember he described it car felt it wanted to go around bump not over it. That's where article ended never saw a follow up report. That why I asked about a kit think much has changed since then.

I'd really like to know why you said this, there are a bazillion cars out there with rack and pinion steering.
Yeah.... Cars that were designed for it, sure.
The problem with many conversions is that there are always some type of compromises made to fit parts together where they were never intended.
I have seen aftermarket rack and pinion setups designed to fit a stock K member. One is called Unisteer. They actually increase the turning radius making for wider U turns, they have more bumpsteer than stock and often don't clear many oil pans.
I've seen front mounted steering racks that clear but have terrible steering geometry. To fit them, the lower ball joints are flipped around forward and the rack attaches in that manner. Steering is unpredictable because of increased bump steer again.
Aftermarket front suspensions that replace the K member and torsion bars use steering racks but at least they are designed for it. They are also a compromise but they use zero Mopar parts....They are not perfect but at the very least, they are not a Frankenstein of incompatible parts.
Steering feel can be greatly improved by having a quality shop rebuild the stock unit OR look into the Borgeson steering unit.

I looked at R&P systems pretty hard for my 70 RR not because I wanted to get rid of the stock stuff but more because I could. My car is already pretty heavily modified and I thought it might be neat. After looking at them in detail I arrived at the conclusion that retrofitting a R&P system to a factory K frame and suspension was not a good idea from a handling prospective.

I was purposely vague because memory isn't precise. Read an article about R&P in the 80's doing a home brew R&P. He was having problems with bump steer, have forgotten what he said he was doing to fix it. Best I can remember he described it car felt it wanted to go around bump not over it. That's where article ended never saw a follow up report. That why I asked about a kit think much has changed since then.
thanks

Auto Transport Service
Back