• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Radiator, big block / small block

Virg464

Local time
9:13 AM
Reaction score
I'm not a radiator expert when it comes to the difference between big and small block engines, I would imagine it would be how many rows of tubes are in the core? Anyway, I have found a local, used (non-leaking) B-body radiator for my coronet and I need to know what to look for to confirm it will work for my motor, 400 cu in. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

I'm not a radiator expert either. I do know my '66 Belvedere came with a 26' radiator as it's a 318 POLY A/C car and I believe the larger radiator helps with the additional cooling needed. Also came with a very efficient shroud. BTW, I had it re-cored for 2 to 3 cores just to be safe.

Bring it to a radiator shop have it dipped and cleaned and they could evaluate it for you.

SB, top and bottom (inlet/outlet) spigots are the same size. BB/RB the outlet (lower) spigot is one size larger diameter than the top.

That said I ran a SB radiator on my 383 Bee for over 30 years with a smear of RTV on the lower spigot to seal the hose. I was even using a corbin clamp to hold it without leakage.

Post the number from the top tank.

SB 1.5” both hoses
BB 1.5” top 1.75” bottom hoses

Auto Transport Service
Back