• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Radiator code 53

Stefan

Local time
4:24 PM
Reaction score
Hey.
I have a roadrunner -69.
On the broadcast sheet it says:
Rad 53.
Can anyone tell me what that means?
Is it a 22” radiator? Or is it a 26”?
// Stefan from Sweden

radiator053 008.JPG
radiator053 001.JPG

Thank you both for answering.
Do you or anybody else know where a can buy a radiator like that one.
I want the car to be as original as possible.

Glen Ray radiators. I think he does some 22" radiators. I bought a 26" from him last year.

I bought a new one from US Radiators for my Charger that looks almost like the original. That is the way to go, since who knows what condition the old one is in.

Call Bob at Glen Ray. He usually has spares sitting around for sale.

Yes, Glen Ray will recore an original 053 for you, IF he has a core on hand or can find one. For mine it took awhile to find a usable core, and I had to find it and tell him where it was. He bought the core and rebuilt it, then sold it to me.

Expect to have to pay at least $1000, unless you have a good core, then only about $750ish.

He does do nice work though, but you will pay for it.

Had to look up the invoice, did not remember exact price. It was $1180 total, and that was in 2008. That DID include a fan shroud with the radiator.

Yes, Glen Ray will recore an original 053 for you, IF he has a core on hand or can find one. For mine it took awhile to find a usable core, and I had to find it and tell him where it was. He bought the core and rebuilt it, then sold it to me.

Expect to have to pay at least $1000, unless you have a good core, then only about $750ish.

He does do nice work though, but you will pay for it.

a vote for Glen Ray. They did my 053. The car runs 165 degrees all day. I had a great core to start with but IIRC with shipping and service it was $600-700.

The work is not 100 percent concourse correct but certainly good enough, and effective, for 95 percent of show cars and 100 percent of drivers.

a vote for Glen Ray. They did my 053. The car runs 165 degrees all day. I had a great core to start with but IIRC with shipping and service it was $600-700.

The work is not 100 percent concourse correct but certainly good enough, and effective, for 95 percent of show cars and 100 percent of drivers.

Oh I agree with you, where else you going to go to get some quality mopar work. I will hire him again if/when I need another radiator. Just a bit pricey and was trying to convey that to the OP so he would be prepared. Mine also runs very cool like yours, on a 499 CID stroker no less. IIRC, I had Bob put in a 3 row HD core when he rebuilt it, I think the OEM was just a 2 row? I just didn't have the original anymore and the only core we could find at the time was $200 or $250 IIRC. Also had to ship it from Oregon to Wisconsin to Indiana, so that adds some too. Plus the new shroud. It all added up to $1180 in 2008 dollars. Here's what the core looked like before Bob worked his magic on it.

027.JPG
028.JPG

PS. Not my foot! :xscuseless:

Yep, 2 row is stock OE and 3 row would be HD. I couldn't find a 3 row core when I had my 053 redone for my Bee and had to go 2 row. Works just fine with my stock 383 Magnum and runs right on the stat. My spare 053 that I picked up is a 3 row recore, that was recently done. Just found out that the '69 RR Vert I was working on was sold out from under me yesterday so if Stefan @Stefan wants to work on a deal.. send me a PM ..

Stephan, Here is a nice never used recore I have.
$800 plus shipping.

69 22'' BB rad (1).jpg 69gtx rad.jpg

On it's way Stefan ! I probably should have kept it as my spare, but better that you put it to good use! My wife agrees.. LOL
radiator053 020.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back