• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Radiator core support "black out"?

dadsbee

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:35 PM
Reaction score
Did the factory black out the core support on a 1969 Coronet B5 car?? I didn't think they did with the darker colours cars and I only remember mine this way, but I can't guarantee it's not Blue from the paint job in '78.

Shot is from before tear down, black is spray bomb that I did at some point in time. Can't remember if I did the grill support brace as well.

Someone asked me if I was blacking out the core support and here I ponder.. LOL
22radsm2.jpg

This is a 70 Coronet survivor....you be the judge......

1970-Coronet-4-e1520595930532-630x395.jpg

Light colour paint though. Looks blacked out on each side of the A/C
It was a thing for Ma Mopar to not see the body color through the grille.....The best people to ask in relation to your car is the A12 guys......

I know that GTX's and chargers received the blackout.......and my 72 duster and 71 dart had remnants of the blackout....

Well that would have been easier to do before the rad went in, or the wiring harness.... LOL

Find it weird mine was only done on the grill support brace before I tore it down. Thanks for the links and help, I'll keep researching before I get the spray gun out, as to how far out and on what got sprayed.

Find it weird mine was only done on the grill support brace before I tore it down. Thanks for the links and help, I'll keep researching before I get the spray gun out, as to how far out and on what got sprayed.
I would ask the A12 guys over on the A12 forum......Coronets and SB's is where I lack knowledge of....Just rarely ran across them...

I personally believe that Mopar back in the day would basically say that all models will have the the radiator support area blacked out. Although it has been documented that not ever car did receive the treatment. It generally has been the black or F8 Green cars that I have seen that was lacking the blackout. But I have seen more black cars with the blackout than without it. It was not applied with a mask or anything else. No two cars will be the same. And for whatever reason, the paint did not adhere to some of the cars as well as it did to others. Just as to the speculation of what cars had the blackout is how was it sprayed. People say it was applied from a pit spraying in a upward fashion while others will say it was sprayed from the floor level. Nothing has ever been completely documented to the process.

The main thing is to do the car in the fashion that appeals the most to you.

Just the mid section, or did they spray right down, including the lower support below the radiator?

Just the mid section, or did they spray right down, including the lower support below the radiator?
no two cars are alike.....

Some overspray got on the rad upper brace and down to the lower brace with overspray underneath the lower rad brace....and out to the headlight buckets.....

Thanks, Just told a B7 Roadrunner exists with no black out... I'll keep plugging away!

This months Mopar Action magazine has an article on this very topic.

Pretty much what I've read here: Dark colored cars didn't get it, the patterns did vary a bit from car to car, NO paint on top of the horizontal surfaces. Paint was applied from underneath at approximately a 45 degree angle.

That is probably "over-restored" but looks really nice.

Auto Transport Service
Back