• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Radiator fan

blue69runner

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:02 PM
Reaction score
Have a 383 with 3:55 gearing rear end. Any idea on size cooling fan to use non clutch type. It is a 69 roadrunner. It had a flex fan in it and want to put a steel fan on it. Any ideas would be appreciated. Stock Rad. Thank for the help. blue69runner

3.55 gears with no overdrive will turn higher rpms on the highway where the fan isn't needed as much. VERY noisy!! I'd go w a factory 18" 7 blade w fan clutch. But if you really want a direct drive fan, Flex a Lite has a good, steel 6 blade 18" direct drive fan and a 18" aluminum 7 blade flex fan that can both handle 6k rpm. But it will be very noisy inside the car while cruising.

I watched cooling fans tested on a dyno on YouTube and I can't find the video now. But the composite / flex fan robbed 30 horsepower . Not sure how much for a fixed pitch steel fan uses but I'm guessing it's up there! I use a viscous clutch fan. It engages. Only when it gets hot. Just saying.....

I watched cooling fans tested on a dyno on YouTube and I can't find the video now. But the composite / flex fan robbed 30 horsepower . Not sure how much for a fixed pitch steel fan uses but I'm guessing it's up there! I use a viscous clutch fan. It engages. Only when it gets hot. Just saying.....
That was an engine masters video, and i thought it was excellent, tho some criticized their methods. The video is long gone, cause m/t wants you to pay for them now, all there are on you tube now is teasers. IF my memory is right, the clutch fan cost around ten, there was a second that was worse, maybe an aluminum flex. The plastic flex cost 25, the solid steel 7 blade cost thirty.
Im using the plastic flex on my bracket car, and giving up the power for cooling. I used to cme back from a run at 210-220, now i come back at 175-180. Cools down in a quarter of the time.

Why don't you want to run a fan clutch?
Just from the past had one that the clutch did not work and car got hot. Had one on a 440 motor and it let go and went through the rad. So I know they take horse power away but I am not racing. If I don't like it then will go to a clutch. Thanks. Got and 18 inch fan coming form summit. Appreciate the help guy's and the your knowledge on this. bule69runner. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back