• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Radiator for 78-79 Magnum

m79ded

Local time
8:51 AM
Reaction score
Hi

I'm looking for a aluminum rad for my 79 because the original is just not cooling my 451 big block very well, The biggest cores that i'm told can fit on it is 3 x.50" cores,not sure if I should ask rad shop for 2 cores of .75 or 1" but it doesn't seem it would fit, anyways I'm looking into Aluminum rad options and I can't seem to find one other than Griffin which is very expensive. The mounting brackets are different on our cars and it's a 28" rad. Any tips would be appreciated.

FWIW, with AutoZone, if you sign up with them on there site, they send you discount codes. I have received 20% off codes.

The radiator I bought is a stock replacement unit for a ‘78 400 Magnum. There wasn’t anything done to the P code ‘78/400 I installed except 1-7/8 headers/2-1/2 exhaust, MP Chrome box ignition, Holley street dominator with an electric choke TQ. (AKA, small primary carb)

It was run with a MP viscous fan and no shroud in temps up to 90* here on Long Island NY. The rest is a 727/3.55 on 245/60/15’s. The engine stayed cool for hours of driving. 180* thermostat. I also used it with a ‘00 5.9 Magnum with bolt on parts. RPM, 650 carb, Hooker super comps @ 1-3/4. (300 hp) Zero issues there.

I do not know if this will satisfy your particular HP needs. But it is brand spankin new and purchased for $200 @ the time a few years back.

The radiator has plastic tanks and what appears to be an aluminum core. Size specs for this direct bolt in radiator are;

27 inches wide as measured in between the mounting brackets.
19-1/2 from the bottom of the top tank to the top of the bottom tank.
Top tank is (barrow-ish at 1-15/16
An approximate 1/2 under the tank on each side of the tank is the thickness of the cooling core. Each cooling fin is very wide as pictured below.

Last edited:
Now temporarily seeing duty on a test engine stand with the Magnum’s shroud that I thought was gone/lost.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:
Wow that's nice
Would like to see more of that stand!

The alum I put in my 440 b body is a Champion 503 and I'd recommend. If ya find in their cat, it will show not aval and the specs wrong. When it was avail, specs were wrong too but have the right ones some where. Had actual thought I convinced them to fix the catalog too.

In the below two pictures what I don’t have on the phone is the brace I used in between the legs that hold the front of the engine. This brace stopped the legs from twisting the frame of the stand.

I still have to fan up the control panel, wiring, and the battery tray which will be behind the bell housing. A gas can will be under the duel pump on a tilted tray. Casters are Harbor Freight @ 4 inches, which allows the cherry picker to roll under it. I used 1/4 plates on top of the casters for that extra little bit of clearance.

I’ll get those pictures later.
756EB6A1-64BF-4709-A92F-A5E7EB078FBA.jpeg
C641C86B-E0F2-44D7-96D4-EDC9ED94D1E2.jpeg

Current status of the test engine run stand.
Where the battery will be placed.
Where the fuel container will go.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back