• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Radiator ID help needed

nutz4spd

Local time
1:36 PM
Reaction score
Can someone decode these numbers or point me to where I can look them up please? This radiator is in my '62 Dart and I don't think it's original. It has 2949053 stamped on the top left with 38086 stamped right below it. Off to the side it has LC785. Thanks!

Not original for a 62 dart.... That is a 69 b-body radiator for 383 and 440 cars 22 inch

I have a couple of radiators for a 62. Do you have a 318 or a slant six ?

I thought so. The car has a 413 in it and the temp barely gets above 100 degrees while driving. When you turn the car off it'll warm up to around 170 or so but cools right back down to 100 once you get going. I've replaced the thermostat thinking it was bad but no change. There is no fan clutch and I'm wondering if having the fan run constantly is keeping it too cool.

I thought so. The car has a 413 in it and the temp barely gets above 100 degrees while driving. When you turn the car off it'll warm up to around 170 or so but cools right back down to 100 once you get going. I've replaced the thermostat thinking it was bad but no change. There is no fan clutch and I'm wondering if having the fan run constantly is keeping it too cool.
Do you have a thermostat? Better check that temperature with a pyrometer .

There is a OE 180 thermostat in it, yes.

I'm guessing this is a common question? Thanks for the link btw!
I never saw a engine the would run 100 degrees with a 180 thermostat. Something does not add up.

Maybe this might help. The previous owner put a T fitting next to the thermostat housing. The probe for the gauge and the sensor for the throttle body are both screwed into it. I also noticed there is, what looks like, a coolant temp sensor in the front of the housing. Could it just be the location of the probe isn't good? With two different gauges and two thermostats not producing different results I'm inclined to think either the probe location isn't good or this thing just cools too much with the fan constantly running.

20230331_114715[1].jpg

20230331_114758[1].jpg

Maybe this might help. The previous owner put a T fitting next to the thermostat housing. The probe for the gauge and the sensor for the throttle body are both screwed into it. I also noticed there is, what looks like, a coolant temp sensor in the front of the housing. Could it just be the location of the probe isn't good? With two different gauges and two thermostats not producing different results I'm inclined to think either the probe location isn't good or this thing just cools too much with the fan constantly running.

View attachment 1442514

View attachment 1442517
With the thermostat closed the cooling system is in closed loop. It is not using the radiator. It does not even care if there is a fan or radiator. The coolant is sitting within the block until the thermostat is open.

Stupid question but the thermostat does go in with the dome facing up towards the hose, right?

Spring side down into the housing.
When you say down into the housing... the housing is what is bolted to the top of the block which means the thermostat spring would be point upwards. So does the spring side go down into the block or up into the housing?

When you say down into the housing... the housing is what is bolted to the top of the block which means the thermostat spring would be point upwards. So does the spring side go down into the block or up into the housing?
Down that means pointing down into the housing/water pump housing. Don't you have a FSM?

You may have a bad temperature gauge as well if it is aftermarket???

Auto Transport Service
Back