• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Radiator Question

Chunky 611

Local time
1:11 AM
Reaction score
I have a 69 mopar 3 row radiator. It been in a box in my basement for the last 20 years. It cooled fine when I took it out. I had it boiled out about 25 years ago soon after I bought my RR. The car is long gone and just pulled this out of its hiding place. How do I know if it needs to be recorded. Is there a visual que? The inside looks kinda rusty but I don't see any blockage. Where can I find a date code? Here are some pics. Thanks for your help. I am thinking of selling it but I want to represent it properly.

20190206_143703.jpg 20190206_143642.jpg 20190206_143618.jpg 20190206_143853.jpg 20190206_143708.jpg

Ok, that's a lot of corrosion, so it needs to be flushed at the very least. For basic radiator repair, people have 3 options (listed cheapest to most effective)
1. Flush --> acids eat away corrosion
2. Rod --> tanks are taken off & rods are "reamed" through the cooling tubes.
3. Re-Core --> new cooling tubes/core

If you have a leaking tube & you "rod out" a radiator, you can "solder shut" maybe 2-3 tubes (so they won't leak anymore) and the radiator will still cool OK. At some point, there are so many leaking tubes that you need to replace them all (re-core). I think Caterpillar (CAT) specifications allow 4 blocked off tubes before a radiator needs to be re-cored....for whatever that's worth.

To answer your question....you know when you have to re-core a radiator when it either doesn't cool after 1 & 2 above have been tried OR if too many tubes leak after 2 is tried.

That radiator lists as a 1969, B-body, 383, auto, Police pkg. You may find a date code on one of the side mounting rails...

Thanks for your thorough explanation of my options on my radiator PurpleBeeper. I will take it to my local radiator shop and have him check it out and get his recommendation. I really appreciate your time! I check for the date on the right side mounting rail as you suggested VanDan and saw the numbers 340-3. Which means the 340th day of 73 see pic. I guess the mounting rails have been replaced at some point in its life. I'm not sure if this is the proper for to ask but,if I were to post the radiator sale, as is, any suggestion on price? Or should I have the radiator checked out before? Any recommendations would be great. Thanks again for all your time and info.

20190206_170651.jpg

Only recore as a last resort, MO. The fins between the tube are different. The fins zig zag on recores, sharp turns. OEM fins are S shaped and have small scoops cut in them. Found an OEM radiator for my car, ran cooler than the recore.
Home cleaner tor core white vinegar.

Thanks Fran Blacker, I'll give the white vinegar a shot.

Let it soak for awhile. If Costco is close they sell gallon bottles.

Auto Transport Service
Back