• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Radiator shot

62Fury

Local time
9:50 AM
Reaction score
The radiator is leaking & looks shot on my 1962 Fury with a 318 Poly. Searched and they want big bucks for a replacement. Any advice on a possible aluminum replacement or am I going have to get robbed for a new one.

When it rains, it pours.

I have just recently been through the radiator "war" on my 1967 GTX. It is a 440/automatic. I had radiator out and cleaned a couple times and it did not help. I believe gone are the days when they would pull tanks and rod the core ....now it is just boil them to clean. Maybe there are shops that would still disassemble and rod them but it is going to cost for their labor. I finally had a new core installed in mine. It was pricey but worth the money as it works great and it still looks like an original radiator should. I am just not a fan of the look of aluminum but you can paint them and prices are more friendly.

Seriously folks. Where the hell do you think Glen Ray gets cooling cores. Any radiator shop has access to the same supply. Are shops few and far between in todays throw away society, sure they are, but they're still out there... even in my one horse Ontario town!

I have just recently been through the radiator "war" on my 1967 GTX. It is a 440/automatic. I had radiator out and cleaned a couple times and it did not help. I believe gone are the days when they would pull tanks and rod the core ....now it is just boil them to clean. Maybe there are shops that would still disassemble and rod them but it is going to cost for their labor. I finally had a new core installed in mine. It was pricey but worth the money as it works great and it still looks like an original radiator should. I am just not a fan of the look of aluminum but you can paint them and prices are more friendly.
Agree, Its not so much the look I care about. I tried an alum rad in another car and it did no good, overheated worse than the bad original one. I really don’t want to go alum but I don’t want to shell out nearly a grand for a radiator either. Argggh!!

I got an aluminum radiator from a company in Michigan or Wisconsin, can't think of the name right now and others may chime in, but if it were painted, you would be hard pressed to not think it was original. It has tanks that are like original and bolt in like original, and for only a couple hundred dollars!

100_0073.JPG

I got an aluminum radiator from a company in Michigan or Wisconsin, can't think of the name right now and others may chime in, but if it were painted, you would be hard pressed to not think it was original. It has tanks that are like original and bolt in like original, and for only a couple hundred dollars!

View attachment 1442340
So you’re happy with it and it keeps the car cool? I had one on another car and it didn’t work out for me.

Auto Transport Service
Back