• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Radiators?

Paul_G

Local time
5:49 AM
Reaction score
What would be the correct radiator for a 73, 400 engine, with A/C?

The 73 Charger I am rescuing has a 68 383 in it right now. The water pump housing on the 383 has the inlet (lower hose) on the passenger side, and the outlet (upper hose) on the driver side, just like a small block. This radiator is a 26" core, same rad thats in my 72 small block. This radiator is not wide enough to mount in the core support on the 73, about a few inches too narrow. There is a plate mounted to the core support on one side, with the radiator mounted to this plate on that side.

What would be the correct radiator size for this car? It has to be bigger/wider than the 26" thats in it now. I thought 26" was the biggest?

They take a 28" radiator. Check you inbox.

They take a 28" radiator. Check you inbox.
No hurry. PM me again let me know what you find.

This may help you find your answer. It's my "go-to" listing...
www.rosevillemoparts.com/reference_radiatorguide.php

Great info there.

So what was the correct hose orientation for the 73 big block 400 4speed with A/C? Having trouble finding that info. I know my 73 Charger I had before was a 440 auto with A/C. It had the lower hose on the driver side and upper hose on passenger. It must have been a 28" radiator.

So I assume the water pump housing I have on the 383 right now is incorrect for the 73. They must have used a small block 26" radiator to make it work.

both outlets runs to passenger side on 73 and lates BB radiators. I think you reversed your perception from your old 73

this makes also a change on steering pump location, being deeper into engine bay ( the driver side bottom outlet don't disturb anymore being changed to passenger side ) and belts setup between pre 72 and post 73

on earliers, belts runs one exlusivelly for water pump ( with a iddler pulley ), one to steering pump, and the other one to A/C alt.

on laters the waterpump and steering pump shares same belt. AC and alt remains the same

Steering pump on lates gets a bolt provision built in block. Long bolt what works as the pivot bolt to set the tension on belt.

I went through this with mine. 73's depending on build date took several radiators.
Mine was April/May build and took 3673047. There were also 3673952, 3673953 or 3673998.
If you have your build sheet it will tell you for sure.
Line 3, 4th section over "Rad" will have 2 numbers. They are the last 2 numbers of the radiator assigned for your car.

Up to 72 water pump housing
1001073.jpg

from 73 water pump housing
1001074.jpg

I found this useful when sizing the one for my 74 440/727 auto. Matched up to the old one that was there, which i assume was an original (stamped so) and measurements lined up with the one below.Original engine was a 400, also the inlet /outlets on the one i got had to be modified cause the pump i went with is backwards.

cc503.jpg

This is my 73 Rallye I had many years ago. This pic shows the lower hose on the drivers side. It had the upper hose on the passenger side. The water pump housing looks to be aluminum and not painted. Probably not original. This is why I assumed they were all that way. Guess not.

IMG-0003.jpg

Well it seems it was manual steering? Long time ago 73 and lates aluminium housing was not available yet. But yes, it's incorrect as far I can tell. Radiator was changed allong with the WP housing I guess.

Unless it does exist a crossyear period of time on this for earliers 73 which I never have known. But this would change the steering pump location too. Several stuff asociated to this. And how it was the water pump belt set? I guess it got also the earlier belt iddler for it. I can see no fan clutch. Crank pulley also changed

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back