• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Radio antenna?

493 Mike

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:35 PM
Reaction score
Hi fellas,
I need a radio antenna for my 65 Belvedere project and I'm not real keen on the OEM unit. Does anyone here have any tried and true recommendations? Will any of the late model mini/stub antennas work? Thanks!
Mike
PS: my right fender has never been drilled for a antenna, that's why I asked about late models.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if any after market stub or late model antenna will work since the antenna mast doesn't screw into the fender nut. I put a aftermarket power antenna on my car. I had to do some modifications but I used the factory nut and spacer.

I had the same problem, didn’t want to drill a hole in the pristine fender of my 65 Belvedere. A radio delete car, but I wanted a radio, my solution was one of those hidden antennas. I stuck it to the windshield up behind the rear view mirror, not noticeable from the outside because of the tint band on the upper part of the w/s. It measures approximately 5x1/2x1/2”, has an antenna lead plus a switched hot wire that I ran underneath the trim. Not the best reception, picks up 3 or 4 strong local stations, mediocre at best, probably could be mounted in a better location to pick up more stations. Wasn’t very expensive, don’t really remember where I got it, I think I bought it through amazon. The radio is a stock radio converted to AM/FM so that might be part of the problem with reception.

I had the same problem, didn’t want to drill a hole in the pristine fender of my 65 Belvedere. A radio delete car, but I wanted a radio, my solution was one of those hidden antennas. I stuck it to the windshield up behind the rear view mirror, not noticeable from the outside because of the tint band on the upper part of the w/s. It measures approximately 5x1/2x1/2”, has an antenna lead plus a switched hot wire that I ran underneath the trim. Not the best reception, picks up 3 or 4 strong local stations, mediocre at best, probably could be mounted in a better location to pick up more stations. Wasn’t very expensive, don’t really remember where I got it, I think I bought it through amazon. The radio is a stock radio converted to AM/FM so that might be part of the problem with reception.
I put one of those in my 65 Coronet on the bottom of the dutchman panel and was able to pick up 1 local FM station. Of course they play all classical music (no offense to the Mozart guys here). I find it hard to believe the technology doesn't exist to process radio waves in a more attractive method?
Mike

I have a radio delete car.
Bought a boat antenna online from Walmart, under $10 shipped.
Works excellent, better than any antenna I've had ever.

Can you give me a link?
Mike

Where or how did you install it?

When I installed a Hermosa retro radio it came with a lot of bells I didn't need like Bluetooth; but had a flash drive port for tunes I wanted (no Cd's and could have connected to phone but just settled on the flash setup). It came with a power antenna lead so couldn't pass up using it and bought a power unit for cheap on eBay. There are ton's of them to be had and measured the interior fender space buying one that would fit in there. I used the original fender mount nixing the crummy one that came with the antenna. But, hey agree as posted, I'd be very reluctant to drill out a hole for a radio delete fender! And as it is, I use my radio about 5% of the time anyway using my flash that can hold 100's of tunes to hear what ya wanna here. Hope that marine setup works...sounds like what I'd try.

I did find an adapter cable for 2002 and up Chrysler antenna cable to aftermarket stereo and I called on the Dakota Digital electronic antenna. That sounds promising. I may go scrap yarding to look at late model antennas.
Mike

Where or how did you install it?

Pioneer under dash, it's less than half the size of a cd stereo and weighs an ounce, antenna runs out the back inside the bottom of the dash with the wire to the passenger door then down inside the kickpanel area.
Almost like I'm sending it to a fender antenna but send it down.

Hi fellas,
I need a radio antenna for my 65 Belvedere project and I'm not real keen on the OEM unit. Does anyone here have any tried and true recommendations?

HQrkVCo4kiVlrSqX0OTK6JPEEAZdyH2ktXTqvQ8WVOHJhIjwX_BfAUO9uLOGwaH0nMAnCIIHuN8Z2t85yWYyUpJ0jw.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back